You are here

All Recent Comments

Op-Ed |Hispanic Heritage Month And The National Parks

Oct 21st - 06:38am | wild places

Or we could just try to stop segregating ourselves.

Oct 20th - 18:23pm | Lee Dalton

May I make one observation here?  Ms. Torres wrote: "The Latino experience is the American experience." How about if we edit that line to read: "The Latino experience is ONE OF MANY AMERICAN EXPERIENCES."

Is It Time To Ban Comments On The Traveler?

Oct 20th - 22:50pm | rmackie

Fun comment Alfred Runte, and yes I thought Gary's comment on his wilderness hiking companion, his dog, was special. You are right about these huge solar farms, many people working against them here in the states environmental community as well as other citizen groups. I also think Argalite's position on cats has merit.

Oct 20th - 21:07pm | SmokiesBackpacker

Who said I was talking about you, Gary?  It could have been anyone at the Great Smoky Mtns Association, a business organizationally tied to the National Park Service to sell products.

Oct 20th - 15:25pm | Alfred Runte

You got that right, Lee! I just cleaned their litter box, including all fresh litter, and just now Gracie scattered it all over the floor. She always wants to "break" the new litter in. She had Christine and me broken in by the time she was eight weeks old, and still bosses around her brother George. Meanwhile, they have a cushy towel on my desk where they keep me company.

Oct 20th - 15:01pm | Lee Dalton

Hey, how can anybody accuse Alfred's cats of being stupid? They were smart enough to train him to feed them and clean their litter boxes, weren't they? C'mon, folks, we need some smiles in the world this morning .  .  .

Oct 20th - 13:57pm | Alfred Runte

Argalite, why do you need the adjective--"legitimate?" I never said those studies were illegitimate, did I? I merely pointed out what they failed to consider--that when comparing bird kills by wind turbines and cats, we need to consider the context of the "kills."

Oct 20th - 13:15pm | argalite

So you didn't address the fact that these are legitimate studies and not wind-power advocates.  Who cares about your stupid cats?

Oct 20th - 11:32am | Alfred Runte

Argalite, there is a big difference between a starling, pigeon, sparrow, and an eagle. And don't forget the bats. Any sane environmentalist concedes that free-roaming cats kill millions of birds (although mine have never killed any). George and Gracie, our family duo, prefer hunting down mice and rats. George proudly reports seven rats this year culled from our neighbor's garden.

Oct 20th - 10:50am | argalite

Alfred just gave the perfect example of how comments get blown up.  He assigns reading, but when I gave him the reference for the millions of birds killed by cats and how nothing compares to their estimated destuctive ability on record, he says it was a hit piece.  Here Alfred, this is not a made up paper, and the authors are legitimate scientists with a peer-

Oct 20th - 10:47am | Gary Wilson

That's hilarious coming from you johnny.  The fact is I never commented on this site, until I grew tired of reading your baseless accusations and constant garbage that you post in this comment section.  That is what triggered me to comment on an article in which supplied baseless accusations that eventually were proven false in a court of law.  Like Trump, you could'nt handle the

Oct 20th - 07:28am | SmokiesBackpacker

Is is quite interesting to hear Danny Bernstein complain about anonymous comments when the chief antagonist and one of the primary reasons this whole thread is even in play is because one of her own GSMA employees is the chief ad hominem protagonist.  I know for a fact there have been many complaints about this guy who feels the need to attack people, instead of the subject matter.

Oct 20th - 07:13am | Rangerskip

Lee, Thanks for bringing up THUNDERBEAR. I have been out of the loop since I retired in 2000. I will definitely Google and sign up!

Oct 19th - 20:32pm | rmackie

Well Alfred, I just ordered the book for my kindle. The brief review on Amazon got my interest also.

Oct 19th - 14:36pm | Alfred Runte

Don't forget, Argalite, that the Obama Administration made climate change one of its salient issues, and speedily applied it to the national parks. So, yes, it comes up from time to time, since the so-called solution, as I would put, recommends cutting off our leg to save our toe.

Oct 19th - 12:06pm | argalite

All you have to do is mention climate change and you get the wacos saying it ain't so, no matter what the subject of the article.

Oct 19th - 08:02am | edmond macgregor

"Submitted by Jason h on October 18, 2016 - 9:49am. Couldn't you just not read the comment section instead of limiting something others might find of value?" Makes sense to me.

Oct 19th - 07:59am | Kurt R

What is the big deal? If you do not like how a comment is going then skip over it. If you know a particular commenter irritates you, then don't read his/her comments. How about freedom of speech as long as it does not threaten someone. I personally detest vulgarity in the comments but if i see it i move on and ignore it. If someone wants to be an idiot so be it. Let freedom ring.

Oct 18th - 22:23pm | rmackie

Painview, I agree. I enjoy reading the comment section, I think most that comment support and enjoy our public lands. No one person has all the answers. Reading other perspectives is informative, weather I am in agreement or not. This is one website where I both read the articles and the comment section.

Oct 18th - 21:34pm | plainview

As one who seldom comments ... but reads many that others contribute ... all I can do is shake my head and wonder at this entire thread.  If a comment troubles your delicate ego so much ... then quite reading it and find another topic that suits your mindset more appropriately.  No one is forcing anyone to read anything here.  Good grief!

Oct 18th - 20:29pm | Quite Please

Excellent idea,this way the person can make his point and not continue to blast away at every other persons remark. This would certainly bring an end to pages and pages of a topic that by the end  isn't even on the original topic.

Oct 18th - 19:25pm | Lee Dalton

But, Rick, as others have pointed out, there are a few who may have legitimate concerns of retaliation if they use their names.  What about asking Kurt to develop some kind of method by which a person in that situation might ask for a waiver to the policy if they present to him legitimate reasons for anonymity.

Oct 18th - 18:10pm | Rick Smith

I support the idea of having all commentators use their real names.  Those who feel they must cloak their identity can go elsewhere,  Most of the peiople whose comments I read seriously use their names.

Oct 18th - 18:03pm | Mike Painter

I think the comments should stay, even though they sometimes get tedious and annoying. It's not the opposing points of view that are the problem for me, but rather the absolute need by some to counter each minor point of other comments and insist on getting the last words in all the time.

Oct 18th - 17:47pm | Lee Dalton

I have a solution to the problem. Any time there is a disputed point regarding the NPS, the disputers need to be redirected to the latest edition of THUNDERBEAR.  In Thunderbear, one will find the unvarnished and totally unbiased truth about the NPS, Congress, the environment, politics and a host of other interesting topics.

Oct 18th - 15:28pm | Siglin1

I support keeping the comments. Perhaps those who want to be anonymous could at the least tell the rest of us why. Some may have good reasons such as they are employed and fear retribution. I get a little tired of some of the back and forth by some, but we must all admit it adds a little entertainment to what might otherwise be a pretty dry discussion.

Oct 18th - 15:28pm | Libby R.

Kurt, if moderating comments has become a source of stress or tension for you, close them.  You can reopen them later if you change your mind.  This is your (very useful and informative) blog, and no one can tell you how to spend your time on it.

Oct 18th - 14:59pm | Danny Bernstein

One way to handle "hijacking" is to insist that everyone who logs in offers their first and last name and that the names are printed with the comments. Otherwise, these trolls have no accountabitliy.

Oct 18th - 14:33pm | Rick B.

As a fan of NPT and a frequent commenter, I have to join Dr Runte in a mea culpa. I often post with emotion, and also often throttle myself back and just shut up for a while when I find myself particularly egregious. I would hate to see commenting go the way of the dodo.

Oct 18th - 14:18pm | Lee Dalton

When, from time to time, comments stray somewhat from the original article, it may simply be additional proof that John Muir was correct when he said that everything in the universe is connected to everything in the universe.

Oct 18th - 13:41pm | Dick Shattuck

But in the end there is a simple solution.  If you don't like the comments, don't read them.     Exactly.    It's not the fault of those that do take the time to express their opinions that others don't so the same, and therefore a few dominate the discussions.

Oct 18th - 13:05pm | David Crowl

I agree that sometimes what I read in the comment section, has sometimes risen to a level that is probably offensive to a few. But I for one enjoys reading the comments almost as much as the articles. Yes you have a few that pick at each other. I accept that ecbuck is not going to agree with the grand concensus of scientists on global warming or my opinion of it. So be it.

Oct 18th - 12:56pm | Dick

I have a hard time believing that the letter reprinted above represents the genuine sentiments of many readers.

Oct 18th - 12:55pm | wild places

It is a problem, and I myself complained at one time. I also find that I have been reading the traveler less because of the lack of civility in the comments. I enjoy and read comment sections specifically because it offers another viewpoint and perspective. I want to hear opposing views as long as they are respectful no matter how much I may disagree. It is a chance to lean something.

Oct 18th - 12:53pm | drew hanson

I like tahoma's proposal to limit each user to some number (I would make it a low number, like 2) of comments per week or per article.

Site Of Sir Francis Drake's Ship Grounding Honored At Point Reyes National Seashore

Oct 20th - 13:42pm | Rangerskip

The first park I worked as a Seasonal Ranger is still my favorite park for many reasons. I remember patrolling in the fog and listening to the waves crash and sea lions barking in the distance. A very special place!

UPDATED--OIG: Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area Superintendent Failed To Report Alleged Sexual Harassment

Oct 20th - 09:23am | SmokiesBackpacker

Sadly, even if they cleaned house at NPS, which won't happen, this culture is three layers deep.   This is what happens when too much goodwill is afforded an agency.  The "Ken Burns" effect in full force.  After the popular PBS airing, the NPS has taken that historical goodwill and run amok under Jarvis.  They are cash drunk and above the law.

Oct 19th - 10:47am | Lily40

Nothing suprises me with the Park Service look the other way approach. Why is leadership not held accountable? 16 years one report gathered dust. Not one recommendation that was made to the NPS has been implemented. So happy Centennial Jon Jarvis. You need to step down for the good of the agency....NOW. How many woman does it take to file? Or to file and be ignored?

US Fish And Wildlife Service To Reconsider Wolverine For ESA Protections

Oct 19th - 19:23pm | justinh

Thanks for those links, tahoma.  Good reads.

Oct 19th - 15:46pm | tahoma

I was lucky and privileged to spot a wolverine crossing the road one winter night at Mount Rainier forty years ago.  Here's some interesting links to Gulo gulo news in the Washington Cascades, where the estimated current population is 20-25 individuals.Goat Rocks Wilderness, southeast of Mount Rainier, 2016:

Oct 19th - 13:30pm | john928gt

Glad there are groups that challenge these type of decisions to make sure we protect the wildlife that needs protection. Thanks for the story.

Oct 19th - 11:43am | justinh

Good news.  Thanks for the update.

Musings From Redwood National And State Parks

Oct 19th - 13:43pm | john928gt

As an East Coast native I've dreamed of seeing the Redwoods and the Sequoias since I was a kid. This past summer I finally took a trip to California and experience The Avenue of the Giants and Calaveras Big Trees State Park. Everyone should see these magnificent trees and support protecting them.

Oct 19th - 13:03pm | [email protected]

There are significant reasons why Lady Bird Grove looks different than the superlative stands of old growth coastal redwood within the California State Park System.  First, this upland forest was acquired late in the voluminous history of protecting the coastal and Sierran redwoods.   The Save The Redwoods League deserves

Oct 18th - 15:40pm | JoyceS

I just returned from a trip to the Redwoods last month.  Such a beautiful and awe inspiring place.  We traveled the Avenue of the Giants as well.  I look at my pictures now and they don't begin to capture the majesty of that place.

Scorecard Indicates That Congress Isn't Terribly Fond Of National Park Service

Oct 19th - 12:21pm | Lee Dalton

It's not just park junkies who don't think highly of Congress.  The Ute Tribe just declared war on one member of the body after he made the claim that Native Americans don't object to his proposal to open some federal lands for development.

UPDATED: Company Applies For Permit To Build Oil Refinery Near Theodore Roosevelt National Park

Oct 19th - 07:37am | T Burt

I vote no on the refinery. But here's your global warming homework. Did a study that will show you actual numbers. Then try and get them to tell you where those numbers actually came from. Then see if they will share the spread sheet that the numbers were run through. Then try and find the assumptions. Usually you find that the science is not very good after all

Oct 18th - 22:16pm | Ronald Hamann

It Seems these big oil companies can doo whaterver they want. Tjis is my land . This our Land. not corporation land. That is how the national parks are set up. not to go the the high bidder

Tule Elk Deaths At Point Reyes National Seashore Bring Charges Of Mismanagement

Oct 19th - 02:30am | Northern Nomad

When the initial contract was drawn up to allow the ranching of cattle, even John Kennedy at that time presumed that people would abide by the standard that as a National Park designed to preserve the Wildlife species of that park, that it would be done so in accordance with the, "Ethics," at the time the Park became a Park.

Mount Who? How Did This Famous Park Get Its Name?

Oct 18th - 15:49pm | Doug Bugher

I see where the 75th anniversary of the opening of Mt.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide