You are here

All Recent Comments

Yellowstone, Grand Teton Raising Entrance Fees This Summer

May 29th - 05:50am | SmokiesBackpacker

The poor underfunded NPS.  What a bunch of crybabies.  With Jarvis at the helm let's charge, charge charge. taxpayer lands funded by taxpayer dollars and we need to charge taxpayers to use it.  Mather would be rolling in his grave along with John Muir and Teddy Roosevelt.  I believe that Americans are free to purchase whatever RV's they want.

May 28th - 16:48pm | Joe blow

and you probably come with a $40,000 vehicle $200 a night motels ect and think rangers work free? Bridges last forever? Roads? Rest areas? I hope they raise it to $100 and yes I am going there this summer

Wilderness Defender: Carsten Lien And The Writing Of Olympic Battleground

May 28th - 11:54am | Donald E.Olsby

IN 1956 at BALLARD High School Mr. Lien was our Washington State history teacher. He was the best teacher I have ever had. He loved that park and because of him it thrives today.

Armchair Photography Guides

May 28th - 09:08am | Rebecca Latson ...

Hi Amarillobymorning - Kurt keyed me into the conversation about the Armchair Photo Guides I've been writing.  I'm so glad you enjoy them and have found them helpful.  Thanks for your nice comments.  Yes, I plan on having another guide (a Part 1) for Banff National Park coming out on June 7.

May 26th - 15:08pm | Amarillobymorning

Thanks for your reply. I like your site a lot because it has so much useful information and frequently is the only place where issues concerning our parks get much, if any, coverage. And I enjoy reading comments on those issues from all the different sides. Seems like this is one of the few forums where the comments are (almost always) civil and respectful of different viewpoints.

House Republicans Maneuvering To Drop ESA Protections For Wolves, Keep Disposable Water Bottles In Parks

May 28th - 08:27am | ecbuck

Plastic water bottles are NOT recyclable Well that certainly comes as a surprise to the millons of people that recycle their plastic bottles everyday.  There is an Endagered Species Act for a reason Yes to protect "Endagered Species"  not species that you happen to like but are deemed not endangered.

May 27th - 20:18pm | Patisu Lambert

Plastic water bottles are NOT recyclable and there is an Endagered Species Act for a reason. Ask a real biologist before you do something really stupid!

May 24th - 23:22pm | Rick B.

May 24th - 21:51pm | Lee Dalton

Meanwhile, in Utah the battle over Bears Ears as a national monument continues with fake letters using outright lies to try to scare Navajos into opposing the monument. http://www.sltrib.com/news/3928251-155/rolly-bears-ears-opponents-postin...

May 24th - 21:50pm | rmackie

Lee, right in the middle of it.

May 24th - 21:31pm | Lee Dalton

No surprise here.  Disguting.  But no surprise.  Where is Rob Bishop in this?

Looters Excavate, Steal Civil War History At Petersburg National Battlefield

May 28th - 07:11am | M. Newport

As a Veteran I find this to an affront to anyone who has served this Country in any compacity. The full weight of the Law should land on these criminals like a ton of bricks.

A Tough Week for Hikers and Mule Riders at Grand Canyon National Park

May 27th - 23:50pm | trailadvocate

Yes, Admin, you have redeemed yourself.   I recognize this post :).  Can't get more real amid all the virtual stuff that seems to preoccupy so many.  The transformations that take place on a daily basis that happen to those that commit to the adventure just can not be described any more than people can try to describe what they see when they first look into it.

May 25th - 23:19pm | trailadvocate

Responding to an earlier negative posting (admin):

May 25th - 10:11am | Rob P

My wife and I rode mules in the GC 24 years ago and again recently with our 22 year old daughter, taking the full 2 day trip to Phantom Ranch. Both trips fantastic! Guides were great ans give thorough training and description of what you will encounter. Fear of heights?  They offer an on the spot refund.

OIG: National Park Service Director Skirted Ethics Office In Writing Book, Reprimanded

May 27th - 21:37pm | Vanity, not sel...

What exactly did this book accomplish?  I don't think it paid for itself, much less raise money for the National Park Service.  I wouldn't be surprised if I see it among the other cheap books on the remainder table.  Did his misconduct save lives?  Did it save resources?  It shows a disturbing lack of respect for the rule of law.

May 27th - 20:09pm | Dee Yochuss No Shame

Hooray for Jarvis.  Wish we had more like him in Government.  This will certainly get his book more publicity that it otherwise had.  "The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about."  "There is no such thing as bad publicity."

Some Regulatory Changes At Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area

May 27th - 19:42pm | Joan

And now my money that I pay for this website with my tax dollars is used to silence me by needing authorization for me to exercise my first ammendment right of freedom of speech. America needs to go back to being a free republic, constitutional law and a representative government of and by the people! If you don't like this, move to north Korea! They treat their citizens just as oppresive.

May 27th - 19:37pm | Joan

Because not only do the American people OWN this land, not the government, but now we are being told what we can and can not do on our own land by hired help. Isn't it great to be an American in this day and age? Wonder what will be taken away from us errant school children next year?

Exploring The Parks: Yosemite's Roaring Waterfalls

May 27th - 17:43pm | kthor

Wow look at Nevada Falls!!! it's roaring

The Real Story About The Bison Calf That Took A Ride In The Car

May 27th - 17:11pm | Rangerskip

This is an excellent article written by Deby Dixon. I agree that a lot of public education is needed for animal lovers and other misinformed visitors to realize that YP and other National Parks are not zoos, and the animals that live there should not be treated as pets.

May 27th - 03:43am | Katherine Marion

I thank you with all of my open heart for your very relevant and highly emotioanlly moving .. article.  Bless you for your gifts.    Very sad am i to hear of the demise of one of Mohter Natures .. own.    This was not the most effective ways or means .. to take care of one of Gai's own beloved creatures.

May 26th - 06:31am | Tom P

there is no locatin certified to provide a quarantine for an animal that may carry bruciosis. Besides that, special formulas are needed, and for bison it would be in large quantities.

May 25th - 11:46am | Sarita Elman

Debi, your exceptional article about this event should be take as the 'be all and end all' about the laws of nature. We humans feel we can't stand by and watch an animal suffer, but we are not creatures of the wild. In nature, it is truly the survival of the fittest. Bringing a wild animal to a preserve does not always end happily.

May 24th - 21:54pm | Jane, New Zealand

Exactly. Give your wildlife room to roam outside the park as nature intended and stop bowing down to ranching. Also horrified that they are looking to delist grizzly bears so knuckle draggers can take pot shots at them. Leave the bison, bears and wolves alone.

May 24th - 15:59pm | Susan thomas

From what I read, the bison in Yellowstone have a disease that will not allow other sanctuaries take the calf in, for fear of the disease spreading to their livestock. That is why the Rangers could not save its life. Very sad, but true. I have been to Yellowstone and seen

May 24th - 15:36pm | 46er

Unfortunately, you completely miss the author's point.

Enhancing Your National Park Experience At A Dude Ranch

May 27th - 15:43pm | A reader with g...

Great article Kim! One day I hope to visit a dude ranch! Sally

Moses H. Cone Memorial Park: A Jewel Along The Blue Ridge Parkway

May 27th - 08:44am | Kurt Repanshek

Rebecca, the Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation is working on a campaign to do some major restoration there. You can read about the campaign at the following page:http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2016/03/remaking-history-moses-h-co...

May 24th - 20:22pm | Rebecca Johnson

Hello, I visited the Moses Cone estate in 2011. It was beautiful.  Now I see it looks like it is in disrepair! Why is this happening to this beautiful home? I do not understand why vendors dominate the house with overpriced junk they peddle, and visitors cannot see the whole house! I I am disgusted to see another piece of history neglected.   Rebecca Johnson

National Park Service Approves Seismic Testing For Oil In Big Cypress National Preserve

May 26th - 12:27pm | argalite

Mr.

May 24th - 17:10pm | argalite

I worked at Big Cypress on their fire crew.  We reduced the vegetation from around their oil pumping plant, and hunters cabins, driving swamp buggies made into fire trucks.  In the winter I was there, the ground (limestone) was covered with 2 feet of water.  With what has gone on in that area, seismic testing is not a pressing problem.  They need to continue to try and get t

May 24th - 17:03pm | argalite

Funny how some people can read minds of others (Dr. Runte and the President).

Cape Hatteras National Seashore Visitors Warned About Shark Dangers

May 26th - 09:47am | John Diggby

When Did Dancing In The Thomas Jefferson Memorial Become A Crime?

May 26th - 03:26am | Melissa G

did they put a warning out side of the memorial if not how would anyone know what is and is not allowed there.

May 25th - 08:17am | Lee Dalton

hmmmm --- a very wise man wrote that "Foul language is the pitiful attempt of a feeble mind to express itself forcefully."

May 25th - 04:38am | amy

if they had of ignored them, it wouldnt have made a big deal. But by doing this, the police gave these people the crowd and audience they were seeking.

May 25th - 02:45am | Miguel

You obviously stunt l don't understand the definition of police state.  Read the article before making stupid commentary.

May 25th - 00:21am | Lisa

Personally, I have never felt the urge to make a scene in public by conducting my private moments with the man I love in the open. There's a reason it's called a "private" life. They were groping and kissing and that's nowhere near as attractive as they think. While I didn't see children in the video, it's especially wrong where children are present.

May 24th - 15:43pm | eganser

How is shoplifting a victomless crime? Your argument is invalid.

May 24th - 14:37pm | Anonymous

I agree. By the responses to the officer warning them not to dance, you can tell that they WANTED to cause a disturbance. Then, they post these videos and say the police are the bad people here?? That's the comical part to me, but so many jump on their wagon and defend them, while bashing the police! I hope that those bashing never need the help of an officer..

Walking Among Giants: A Three-Generation Hut Trek In Norway's Jotunheimen National Park

May 25th - 22:12pm | michelle

Coming To Terms With Death In The Backcountry

May 25th - 11:49am | Tim Slack

An apt and accurate article. Venturing into the wild - whether for adventure, recreation or sport - necessarily entails risk, up to and including death. After years of one-, two- and three-week backpack trips into the Grand Canyon, life circumstances compelled me to make a more protracted experience in that canyon I loved so much.

Dwindling Numbers Of Schaus Swallowtail Butterfly In Biscayne National Park Lead To Collecting Decision

May 25th - 11:40am | valeria

im doing a power point for school on the Schaus swallowtail butterfly

National Park Service Director Impressed With Maine North Woods, National Park Proponents Hopeful

May 24th - 21:10pm | Acadia on my mind

There are some interesting parallels between the history of Acadia, and the current debate over the proposed Maine Woods National Monument, as we explore in our latest blog post: http://acadiaonmymind.com/2016/05/5-lessons-from-acadia-for-katahdin-are...

May 24th - 14:45pm | Greenville

This,  is not in your backyard. Newport, Maine is 100 miles from the proposed Monument Park. The local towns most proximate to the Park, have all voted 2 - 1 against it. This has been consistent for 30 years.

Lodging In The Parks: New Badlands Cabins A Major Upgrade

May 24th - 19:23pm | Dave Waltz

For all of you that think the cabins to expensive.There is still a campground and you can buy a tent at Walmart for $29.

Wrong Bear Put Down In Connection With Hiker Attack At Great Smoky Mountains National Park

May 24th - 16:44pm | Paulette B

Where did these "biologists" get their degree -- Walmart?

House Natural Resources Committee To Hold Field Hearing In Maine

May 24th - 14:39pm | Greenville

The most proximate communities to the proposed monument have individually voted 2 -1 against the proposal. There is firm and compelling feeling against it. This has remained consistent for 30 years.

UPDATED: Bear Bites Hiker At Great Smoky Mountains National Park

May 24th - 14:35pm | TJ

If this person was a thruhiker tenting near the shelter would be fine.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide