You are here

All Recent Comments

Boating Industry Aims To Block Marine Reserve At Biscayne National Park

Jul 1st - 13:01pm | Rick B.

Eric...  a voice for such a minority opinion forces itself to be loud. None of us are under any obligation to engage with you. You are not our professor, spouse, boss, or anything other than a loud voice of a minority opinion. Have a very nice smurfy day. We aren't running away from you, just turning our backs and walking away.

Jul 1st - 08:28am | Ralph Steele

Although a marine reserve would indeed help preserve and restore the reefs, as stated by many, have the FWC, and Park Rangers check ALL boats coming in at public and private marinas for illegal catches. If they would enforce the already existing rules plus check on anchorages a lot of the existing problems would not be there. The answers lie in the enforcement of existing rules!

Jul 1st - 07:50am | ecbuck

Both are. So Rick, if you are so confident about climate change "science", please tell us why the predictions by that "science" have been so wrong.  Simple question from which the Ricks, Ron, Tahoma, et al run like hell.  Now that is what I call disgusting.

Jul 1st - 02:06am | Rick B.

Yup. Both are.

Jun 30th - 20:55pm | ecbuck

Lee - all I can say is "disgusting".  Equating holocaust deniers to climate deniers?  Disgusting.

Jun 30th - 20:48pm | Lee Dalton

I watched an excellent, but heart wrenching movie about the Holoaust recently.  One scene in it reminded me in a shocking way of what seems to be an excellent parallel to today's climate deniers. It's human nature to try to deny things that seem threatening and frightening.  If I can deny that it's really happening, then maybe it's not.

Jun 30th - 19:30pm | ecbuck

but would add that our human contributions to climate change are part of the issue Part of the issue?  What part?  How big is that part? What part of the zero increase over the last 18 years was caused by human contributions?

Jun 30th - 17:34pm | rmackie

Agree Dr. Runte, but would add that our human contributions to climate change are part of the issue in the name of "economy and growth".

Jun 30th - 16:18pm | Eileen Kilroy

Protect our parks from corporate profit.

Jun 30th - 11:57am | Alfred Runte

Oh, oh. I think we're getting perilously close to global warming again. But yes, science is as easily corrupted as history. Just ask the two courts that recently ruled against the BLM for preparing woefully inadequate environmental impact statements favoring "green" energy at Searchlight, Nevada, and Steens Mountain, Oregon.

Jun 30th - 11:04am | ecbuck

Agreed Rick - all science that can produce predictable and reproducable results matters.  Science that repeatedly makes grossly inaccurate predictions based on made up data, biased assumptions and manipulation is not "science".

Jun 30th - 10:45am | rmackie

Thank you tahoma, unfortunately it appears science does have dictated values and results. On a related issue, dealing with "Today's New Contagions", a very informative article by Sonia Shah in this issue of the Nation Magazine lays it pretty well.  Different issue but, as Lee Dalton point out in many of his posts, same results.

Jun 30th - 10:33am | Rick B.

All Science Matters.

Jun 30th - 10:27am | ecbuck

tahoma - if they are so right, why are their predictions based on their "science" so wrong?  And why is the "science" produced by the state of Florida and less valid than the "science" used by the NPS? Or for that matter, the otherway around.  I think all science should be considered.  But I will say, I wish Congress would quit micromanaging.

Jun 30th - 10:08am | tahoma

"Additionally, the bill calls for science produced by the state of Florida to take precedence over the science the Park Service used to justify creation of the marine reserve."Holy guacamole!  Real science doesn't have legislatively dictated values or results.  The Florida delegation appears to have a serious case of cranial-rectal insertion:

Jun 30th - 07:55am | Gary Wilson

The only thing I have to say is only 6%?  Jeez...

Jun 30th - 07:45am | Lee Dalton

Ah, nothing like bipartisan Congressional greed and pandering to their contributors.  After all, aren't $$$$$$$$ more important than a bunch of coral and a few smelly fish?  (Unless you've just caught one of them on your hook or want to drop your anchor on a reef.)

Voyageurs National Park Officials To Continue Discussions Into Proposed Campsite Reservation System

Jul 1st - 06:45am | 18576

First come first served was much better.  I visited VNP for many, many years.  It is my favorite spot on Earth.  It essentially has been taken away from me with this pay/reservation policy.  I already pay for parks in my taxes (did anyone think first before voting in the conservative right wing repubs?).  $90.00 for four nights in a tent?

Traveler's Gear Box: Wind Warrior

Jun 30th - 19:42pm | Wind Warrior

Thank you Kurt, for the great review. I just want to let your readers know we have addressed the stake going into the bag issue. We now round the corners of the square part of the stake and the pointed tip comes with a protective tip on it for when it's stored in the bag.

Photography In The National Parks: Remembering My Photographer Father On Father’s Day

Jun 30th - 16:44pm | Barbara K. Bobo

Yes, wonderful photography....I cherish the pics my dad took too, of 50's-and 60's vacations in  a 50's era Chevy station wagon....pole tents and Coleman camp stoves and those finger pinching fold up cots!

Scientist’s Research On Dark Skies Above National Parks Aids In Study Of Light Pollution

Jun 30th - 16:35pm | Barbara K. Bobo

I would think that Great Basin National Park would qualify as well!

New Cooking Techniques With An Old Pot

Jun 30th - 16:27pm | Barbara K. Bobo

I am an avid Dutch Oven cook, and although the weight of these pots are considerable, they are TOPS in flavor and ease of use.  I recommend real lard for seasoning, and cooking with as well, your pies will never taste better!  I travel the American west and Mexico with my  pots and use a claw hammer to lift my pot lids.

Four-Year Rehabilitation Of Grand Canyon Of Yellowstone Overlooks, Trails Underway In Yellowstone National Park

Jun 30th - 07:54am | Gary Wilson

I'm surprised this is just beginning, but i'm grateful for the Yellowstone Foundation for starting this!!!  I remember taking my pops here in the latter part of last decade and some of the steps and walkway was eroded to the point, where I had an uneasy feeling just being on sections of it.  Glad to see they are finally rehabing this.

Two Bears Struck By Vehicles, Killed Sunday In Grand Teton National Park

Jun 30th - 07:38am | Lee Dalton

Dare I try to point out that some comments here speak volumes about the mentality of some who hold extreme views regardless of which side of the fence they happen to be on?

Jun 29th - 23:37pm | Rick B.

Funny Bubba [or Bu - how many IDs do you have?]. It is actually the orange faced R candidate who has been censoring media. You just go ahead with as many generalizations as make it easy for you. Me? I was a conservative R thirty years ago, was on staff for both Jerry Ford and Ronald Reagan, but I evolved and don't affiliate with a party these days.

Jun 29th - 22:19pm | Bu

kurt, I apologize for calling you a democrat. If you were, my post would likely been censored. I still believe that MOST democrats are idiots and most stupidity in the parks is caused by people who identify as democrats.

Jun 29th - 22:18pm | rmackie

EC, a nice response. My own experience is that speeding on park roadways is a serious problem. It is not only our own citizens, but visitors from countries all over the world. Employees with long commutes also have an issue.

Jun 29th - 21:14pm | Steve Nelson

I am a registered Democrat, so I guess Bubba would screen me out, even though I came up with the idea.

Jun 29th - 21:14pm | ecbuck

Bubba - Idiots come in all persuasions, particularly the ones that do idiotic things in national parks.  I can assure you, whatever persuasion, Kurt is not an idiot.

Jun 29th - 20:35pm | Kurt Repanshek

No, actually I'm not.

Jun 29th - 20:20pm | Bubba

of course you would disagree, you are a democrat.

Jun 29th - 14:52pm | Kurt Repanshek

Bubba, I'd disagree. Partisanship and idiocy can, and do, often go hand-in-hand.

Jun 29th - 14:49pm | Bubba

ive found that most idiots are registered democrats. The safest we can do for the animals and environment is to ban them from entering our parks. NPS could check your political affiliation at the gate.

Jun 28th - 19:30pm | Steve Nelson

When I was driving in Glacier, at night, serveral years ago, I had the high beams on and drove very slowly.  I was deathly afraid of hitting one of the many large mammals there, as such a collision could be fatal, FOR ME, if I was going too fast.  Apparently some people can't figure this out.  Amazing.  Too bad we can't invent an idiot detector.

Festivities, Closures Part Of Independence Day Celebrations At National Mall

Jun 29th - 13:56pm | ecbuck

Fire away!

Jun 29th - 10:15am | tahoma

“Independence Day culminates with a spectacular fireworks display over the National Mall. The fireworks will be launched from the area of the Reflecting Pool, and will be visible from many locations throughout D.C. and Northern Virginia.”A NPT story earlier this year reported on fireworks pollution at Mt. Rushmore:

UPDATED: Congressman Asks For National Park Service Director's Resignation

Jun 29th - 08:07am | Bubba

sorry rick, the progressives are bad. you guys are so gullible and so far from reality it's scary. Jarvis is a progressive and no one is surprised of his dishonesty. Remember Drakes Bay Oyster farm, he should imprisioned based on that mess alone.

Jun 28th - 18:48pm | Rick B.

Sorry, Bubba, but 'progressive' isn't a bad word. Delusional is bad, yup, and scum is bad, yessiree, but that's it.

Jun 28th - 15:43pm | ecbuck

And something like 95% of all Americans agree.

Jun 28th - 15:15pm | Bubba

i think Jarvis does have a lower opinion rating than Congress. He is just delusional progressive scum.

Jun 28th - 10:58am | Lee Dalton

Right, because we can be absoluely certain that our Congress is rotten to the core.  And something like 95% of all Americans agree. It's a lot like the old days in Yosemite when the hippies tossed pot into their campfires.  You could smell it everywhere, but it was almost impossible to track it down.

Jun 27th - 21:27pm | ecbuck

We will never know for sure. But that won't stop you from making the baseless accusations with absolute certainty.

Jun 27th - 19:22pm | Rick B.

One thing we do know is that Congress has a much lower opinion rating than Jarvis.

Jun 27th - 15:40pm | hatrasfevr

If Jon Jarvis goes what will happen to his Lobbyist brother Destry Jarvis who's had an open back door into the NPS for many years? ANSWER: He may have to get a real job where opportunities to influence NPS and Environmental actions may not fall into his lap from his brother.

Is NPS Getting Ready To Toss Bluffs Lodge On The Scrap Heap?

Jun 28th - 17:48pm | Kurt Repanshek

I suppose we could start passing the hat (or maybe start a Kickstarter campaign), Julie, though not sure NPS would go along....

Jun 28th - 17:46pm | Julie Murphy

We moved to Sparta, NC is large part because of Doughton Park and the lodge/coffee shop. It's closing has been a tremendous loss to us. We still hike there and spend time on the stone patio dreaming of what could still be a grand beauty. What can we do as average citizens to show our support for the renovation of this property?

Defending Mongolia’s Growing National Park System

Jun 28th - 13:54pm | Dev Nazare

wow Mongolia has some cool looking forests and their nationa parks is similar to some in the U.S. please kindly email me if interested in talkin about places, feel free to send me some pictures of mongolias parks

Death Valley Considers Fee Increases To Fund Fixes At Scotty’s Castle

Jun 27th - 20:30pm | Ruth Teller

$16 for a tour of what?  Empty buildings? Damaged road?  I will pass.  So sad about the damage, but please manage my tax dollars better and fix the more visited sections of the park first.  I love Death Valley, but you have two of the worst campgrounds (embarrassing actually) in the country, Stovepipe and Sunset in Furnace Creek.

Cleanup From October Storms Continues At Death Valley National Park

Jun 27th - 20:22pm | Ruth Teller

Such a lovely place, but what a waste of money.  There are now areas of the park in much more need of repairs (Sunset Camp, Stovepipe Camp, the list goes on). To spend all of the parks money on a location that gets little visitation, likely none in the summer, is such bad management.

Denali National Park Hikers Have Run-Ins With Grizzlies

Jun 27th - 16:56pm | Ray Bane

1st, the entire park, with the possible exception of the rocky and ice covered upper mountains, is "bear habitat".  Some areas may be more heavily used by bears than others, but one should never assume that bears are not present in most park lands.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide