You are here

All Recent Comments

Interior Secretary Officially Renames Mount McKinley As Denali

Sep 1st - 15:10pm | Alfred Runte

No, anonymity is the weapon of the weak, D-2. Who in God's name are you? Sign your name, and don't forget to sign it once on a check to Kurt. He needs money to keep this website going.

Sep 1st - 14:29pm | d-2

PS;  Speaking of specious: Dr. Runte, once again another inexplicable bit of cynicism and sarcasm, which i had been told is the weapon of the weak. Alaskans have wanted to get rid of this vestage of colonialism for a long time.  The National Park Service believes in naming its primary resources for what they are, and naming parks for what they are.

Sep 1st - 14:18pm | d-2

The United States Board of Geographic Names did not avoid action in 1977 in deference to or in expectation of Congressional action.

Sep 1st - 12:23pm | tahoma

Great point, Dr Runte.  The presidential road show seems more than a bit hollow coming on the heels of approving arctic drilling.  I don't think the American public is concerned with political correctness as much as celebrity:  Obama gets to play on a National Park glacier with Bear Grylls!   How's that for 'optics' obscurring irony?

Sep 1st - 11:31am | Alfred Runte

Why stop there? Why not rename Air Force One Denali? Translation: Heap Big Burner of Fossil Fuels on Way to Discuss Global Warming. Does no one else see the irony, or is everyone just afraid to seem not PC?

Sep 1st - 10:52am | tahoma

"The official shift to Denali will have perhaps the biggest impact at Denali National Park and Preserve, which has scattered the name of its iconic peak throughout the park.Park spokeswoman Kathleen Kelly said the park buys its brochures in bulk quantities of 500,000, which means a lot of incorrect mountain names are lingering in its literature.

Aug 30th - 22:45pm | Rick B.

Or, as the comments in Alaska are going, "They are going to call Denali Denali."

Photography In The National Parks: Your Armchair Guide To Glacier National Park – Part 3: Many Glacier

Sep 1st - 11:28am | Rebecca Latson ...

Thanks, everybody for all the nice words.  And thanks to the  commentor who mentioned the conditions encountered when they recently visited.

Sep 1st - 09:31am | Christiana

These are absolutely beautiful photo's. I am headed to GNP with my father the 22nd of this month and am hoping for some clear skies!

Sep 1st - 08:32am | Lee Dalton

Whoa!  Looking at those photos, I was sure I could smell the fresh air, water and all the trees and flowers. Outstanding! Now I'll read the article.

Sep 1st - 08:31am | Alan D

Great pictures Rebecca. I will save this information for next time.  We were in Glacier last week and it's is nice to see what we missed.  The smoke from the wildfires obscured all the mountains and made hiking a chore.  Logan Pass was the clearest but for photographers I would recommend waiting until the smoke clears before heading to Glacier.

Sep 1st - 08:30am | Jim Burnett

Thanks, Rebecca! As we've come to expect, more wonderful photos and some practical photo advice. I was there only a year ago, but your article has me wishing for a return trip!

Sep 1st - 06:30am | David Centifanto

Very infomative. Viewing all of the photos makes me want to visit there soon. Another great article by Rebecca.

Op-Ed| The National Park System: Why It Should Continue To Grow

Sep 1st - 11:16am | d-2

RANDY TURNER -- I wish you would explain what you concluded specifically, and the distinctions between your objective view and that of NPS.  My recollection is in 1999, the Senate and the Senate committee and staff were suffering with new conservative doctrines standing in stark contradiction sometimes in the same Senator or staff member with other doctrines.  There was a strong desir

New Campground Opening At Acadia National Park

Sep 1st - 09:34am | Dana Wade

can't wait to go there, will see you next week. We will be visiting next year also. D&D Wade Fort pierce Fl.

National Parks Traveler Turns 10

Sep 1st - 05:46am | Rebecca Latson ...

Happy Birthday and congratulations!  I feel honored to be a part of this awesome site!  Here's to many more years ahead and many more readers and fans!

Aug 31st - 20:40pm | Alfred Runte

Glad to hear it, Lee. My check just went in the mail. We need to remind ourselves what this website costs--which is plenty. If we lose it, there is no replacement, at least, nothing on the horizon that I can see for now. Others should be doing it, but they aren't. Of course, Kurt can always ask the folks at Budweiser! Find Your Beer, or is it Find Your Park?

Aug 31st - 19:34pm | Lee Dalton

A great idea, Dr. Runte.  Count me in.

Aug 31st - 14:29pm | Alfred Runte

The article mentions nothing about how the Traveler is funded, and is that not the bottom line? If you are to have another 10 years, what will that cost--and why are your readers not picking up their share of the tab? As a start, may I suggest a birthday present of $100 from everyone who has commented here?

Aug 31st - 13:47pm | Random Walker

Thanks Kurt for a decade of NPT.

Aug 31st - 12:25pm | NP_Day_Hiker

Happy Birthday and Congratulations NPT!  I've been a big fan for years and plan on continuing to check out the site every day.

Aug 31st - 12:12pm | Rick B.

Best of wishes for continued success, Kurt.

Aug 31st - 11:36am | Lee Dalton

Congratulations and many, many thanks for the hard work you all do.  Checking Traveler is one of the first things I do every morning. I've wandered around and looked at a couple of other similar sites, but Traveler is far and away the best out there.

Aug 31st - 09:46am | Rich Granberg

Yep, Happy Birthday NPT.

Aug 31st - 09:46am | SmokiesBackpacker

Happy birthday, Kurt et al.

Aug 31st - 09:24am | ecbuck

Happy Birthday NPT.

Aug 31st - 09:21am | David Crowl

Congrats on your Anniversary! Keep up the good work. I have enjoyed veiwing your web site for a good part of the ten years and have been impressed with your continual improvement to the site and the great collection of contributers you have doing stories. Thank you.

Wildfire Closes Washington 20 Through North Cascades National Park Complex, Evacuations Ordered

Aug 31st - 23:13pm | Rick B.

The Newhalem Visitor's Center today was being aired out, due to significant smoke presence.

Aug 31st - 15:54pm | tahoma

The scenic North Cascades Highway (SR 20) has reopened, along with the visitor center and some campgrounds.  Many trails remain closed:http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/article32828805.html

Summering at Cape Lookout National Seashore: The Logistics

Aug 31st - 15:45pm | Lisa

a recent camping adventure at Cape Lookout National Seashore.  Thanks for your post, I didn't know about the shell limit, interesting.  http://beachhouselinens.com/blogs/news/42148673-guide-to-planning-your-f...

In The Right Place, At The Right Time To See WildlifeThis Fall

Aug 31st - 09:49am | David Crowl

Great Smokies also has some salamanders that are only found in that area. My brother showed us several by knowing where to look.

Fines Being Handed Out For Dogs Off Leash At Cape Hatteras National Seashore

Aug 30th - 19:54pm | Anonymous Commenter

Glad to hear the park's commitment to protecting wildlife. It sounds like dogs are still permitted, they just need to be restrained. People are overreacting.

Aug 30th - 17:48pm | Anonymous

I was at Olympic a couple of weeks ago and watched repeatedly as off-leash dogs madly chased birds all along the beach.  One of them ran right through the middle of a family with small children as the mutt pursued a flock of sandpipers. The idiots who pass these laws belong to a body called Congress.

Aug 30th - 13:26pm | J. Lebel

Let me get this straight. If my unleashed pup takes off and threatens a flock of endangered birds, the feds can lock me up for 5 years. Who are the idiots that pass these laws? I can commit manslaughter and serve less time.

Aug 30th - 08:23am | wild places

Good for them. It seems a large percentage of dog owners don't feel leash laws apply to them for some reason.  I see this everywhere, from bike trails to beaches to city parks and backcountry trails.

Storm Cleanup Continuing At Olympic National Park

Aug 30th - 19:32pm | Lee Dalton

Wow, ALL park campgrounds remain closed.  That tells us a lot about how widespread this thing must have been.

Aug 30th - 19:23pm | Megaera

This was the most mis-timed November windstorm I've ever been through [g].  We got 50+ gusts here near Tacoma, so Hurricane Ridge really must have been living up to its name.

On The Road: A Fall Journey Through Banff And Jasper National Parks

Aug 30th - 19:21pm | Megaera

I did this trip in June, and was flabbergasted at how gorgeous it was.  You didn't mention the wonderful slot canyons, either.  My favorite was Maligne Canyon near Jasper townsite.

Lifetime "Senior" and "Access" Park Passes Now Available By Mail

Aug 30th - 12:57pm | NativeAtlanta Girl

I thought I had lost mine, went to a nearby Natl Park and the Ranger had me fill out a quick form and got a new card. The next day, I found the original, I called them - they said just to keep it as a back up. (I cut up the old one since I noted it was lost) And you may want to take a pic of the front back with your cell phone so you will have your number in the future.

Aug 29th - 13:12pm | DARRELL GENE HARVEY

I brought a pass several years ago, but I have lost my card,do I have to purchase a new one?

Acadia National Park Working On Transportation Plan For The Future

Aug 30th - 10:15am | Evelyn Ellis

Speed limit 25 throughout park loop. Speed limit on Cadillac enforced for bicycles descending. Limit big bus trips on Cadillac.

Your Yosemite, A Threatened Public Treasure

Aug 29th - 21:19pm | Zebulon

Let's close the valley, tear down the building, fire most of the employees and give Yosemite back to the natives that lived there long before 1850.

Five Days Off The Grid In Yellowstone National Park

Aug 29th - 15:00pm | FRANCS MISHAK

NICE MEMORY...WISH I WAS THERE

Plan To Open Everglades National Park To Python Hunt Condemned By PEER

Aug 29th - 13:45pm | Also Anonymous

Speaking as someone who manages compliance for an NPS site I find it amazing that a park of this size couldn't put together a compliance package for this that concluded no historic properties were effected and that this action, the removal of individuals of a non T/E species that were threating resources, was covered by a categorical conclusion.

Aug 29th - 08:43am | ecbuck

"There are books of regulations for compliance" There in lies one of the problems.

Aug 28th - 23:19pm | Rick B.

I asked today, Eric about your weed/EIS question. There are books of regulations for compliance specialists to be aware of. Specifically to your question,. some weeds, some places yes, some weeds some places no.

Graffiti A Continuing Problem At Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Aug 29th - 07:47am | Anonymous

I wonder if people who would do this would be shamed by anything.  Social media attention might only fuel their depravity.

Aug 29th - 05:02am | wild places

Perhaps this is where social media could do some good by shaming those who feel the need to deface property.

On the Border: Two Countries, Two Great Parks

Aug 29th - 00:52am | Rudy Stefancik

There is a water fall a short distance to the south of the Goat Haunt landing, but when I was there a few years ago, you had to have a US or Canadian ID to get past US customs or a visa if you were from most other countries. I guess Customs is afraid of ISIS slipping through Glacier NP.......

Wildfires Close U.S. 2 South Of Glacier National Park, Force Evacuation

Aug 28th - 13:18pm | Doug

Glacier National Park 100% open. Going to the Sun Road is 100% open for appropriate sized vehicles for travel in both directions. West Glacier Elementary school has Red Cross assistance so stop in and register to help or receive assistance. Locals donating places for people to stay if needed. Local businesses lending helping hands.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide