The Latest Lighthouse Fashion Attire...?
Photographer: Alan Pitt
Last fall crews at Cape Hatteras National Seashore began some long-needed restoration work on the Bodie Lighthouse. Among the items they're tackling:
• removal of the 344 glass prisms for cleaning;
• cleaning and restoration-in-place of the metal panels that hold the prisms and of the metal pedestal that supports the lens;
• Strengthening the support of 10 flights of the lighthouse’s spiral staircase and replacement of 21 cracked stair treads;
• Removal of lead paint and repainting the lighthouse interior;
• Electrical work and installation of a fire detection and suppression system.
Alan Pitt recently stopped by the lighthouse to take a look at the work and shared some photos with the Traveler.On the Web: www.nps.gov/caha