You are here

All Recent Comments

National Park Service Continues To Talk Climate Change Despite Administration's Position

Apr 12th - 21:14pm | Coxey's Army Na...

Al Runte is a post-fact historian. Funding for light rail at the Grand Canyon was opposed by and finally killed by Congressional Republicans in the late 1990s and early 2000s. They viewed it as a Babbitt-era initiative worth opposing on those grounds alone.

Apr 12th - 20:25pm | Lee Dalton

Alfred, I have a question for you.  You (rightly) express the idea that overpopulation is a great threat to the Earth and human survival upon it.  But then you turn around and deny that climate change may be the product of greater human production of greenhouse gases. Isn't that a contradiction?

Apr 12th - 14:00pm | Alfred Runte

The rest of the world is overpopulated, Argalite--and broke. The only slack they will be taking up is to buy the coal we don't burn here. Oops! Is it okay to say overpopulated anymore, or did that go out with freedom of speech, too? We did say it, in the 1960s, when the world was just three billion people--and still honest.

Apr 12th - 12:06pm | Lee Dalton

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Alfred, when  you say, "Responding to Climate Change" isn't worth a dime. It's worth much, much more than just one thin dime.  It may be worth our specie's survival on this planet.  Thanks for recognizing and supporting that idea.

Apr 12th - 11:50am | argalite

The U.S. government is unlikely to take climate change seriously with our anti-science president.  The rest of the world will have to take up the slack until he leaves

Apr 12th - 10:48am | Alfred Runte

No, Beach, it isn't fake news. It is rather incomplete news. The distortion comes from the insistence that we humans can solve "the problem." The problem is that we can't--and that is largely because we won't. Then asking a bureaucracy to solve the problem is laughable. In government, bureaucracy IS the problem. Everyone makes up the science as they go along.

Apr 12th - 08:12am | Gary Wilson

Beach, if you obtained a degree beyond a high school diploma, i'd be shocked.

Apr 12th - 06:40am | beachdumb

What is the average age of those behind this fake news? I believe it shows how bad are our school systems are now. There is no scientific evidence that "human activities" are effecting the climate whatsoever. It's sad to see how ignorant the NPS/DOE are...

Apr 11th - 16:52pm | Alfred Runte

So, in its own words, the National Park Service "recognizes that human activiites--especially fossil fuel use and transportation--are changing the Earth's climate." Oh, really? Then please explain, NPS, why practically everything you do and plan for is asphalt and auto related.

Apr 11th - 15:50pm | Jill Budzynski

Thank you for speaking truth to power, and to consumers and visitors who deserve to know the facts. We will all begin to see the effects of climate change in our beloved National Parks, be they rising coastlines, bleached coral reefs, changes in wildlife migration, faster erosion of rocks and river beds, etc.

Chemical Spill Closes Beaches At Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore

Apr 12th - 20:34pm | Lee Dalton

There they go again!  That bunch of Unelected Bureaucrats trying to mess with Free Enterprise and America's economic wealth.  Sheesh, billions of gallons of water out there in that big Great Lake.  Just wait awhile and all that hexavalent stuff will be so diluted you won't even know it was ever there unless your skin turns green and starts to glow in the dark.  But as long a

Good Books For Visiting...Mount Rainier National Park

Apr 12th - 18:04pm | Megaera

Sunrise to Paradise: The Story of Mount Rainier National Park by Ruth Kirk (the Amazon listing mistakenly has it by Kirk Ruth [wry g]) is a wonderful, well-illustrated history of the park.  https://www.amazon.com/Sunrise-Paradise-Story-Rainier-National/dp/029597...

Apr 12th - 11:00am | tahoma

I think many NPT readers would also enjoy A Year In Paradise. Author Floyd Schmoe, Rainier's eventual first Naturalist and one of the first in the NPS, originated the widely imitated Nature Notes publication for visitors.  He and his bride spent the winter of 1920 snowbound at the Paradise Inn as caretakers; must have been quite the honeymoon!

OIG: Women Harassed In Yellowstone National Park's Maintenance Division

Apr 12th - 12:26pm | tahoma

Check out this woman's thoughtful, articulate story about working in a different park's Maintenance Division:"There weren’t a lot of moments of blatant sexism, instead what I discovered at Mount Rainier was a tradition of masculinity that blew my mind."

Two Rivers In The National Park System Among "Most Endangered" For 2017

Apr 12th - 06:26am | Rebecca Latson ...

Wildbirdlady, the madness will stop when everybody, including the current administration, realizes just how important clean air and water is to *everyone*.  Yes, I applied myself and studied and learned and worked hard to get my geology degree, which included mapping the local caves and studying the effects of groundwater and karst geology.

Apr 11th - 22:39pm | wildbirdlady

I am a republican. I hate clean air and I hate clean water, right? I didn't have the luxury to map a number of caves in the very karstic region around Murray KY, while working on my geology degree at MSU. So I must certainly hate clean air and clean water. When will this madness stop?

Apr 11th - 11:56am | Rebecca Latson ...

I mapped a number of caves in the very karstic region around Murray KY, while working on my geology degree at MSU.  Yes, karst is pretty porous and it would be very easy for all sorts of bad stuff to flow through that underground system and into a larger water body like the Buffalo River.  The problem is that people don't see it since the byproducts of a hog farm are not neon-colored.

Bears Ears National Monument Landscape Rivals, And In Cases Surpasses, That Of Notable National Parks

Apr 11th - 08:53am | Lee Dalton

Let's add Monticello, UT to the boycott list.

Apr 10th - 19:48pm | Jn

Boycot Blanding, UT and spread the word...they are systematically trying to eliminate this Monument and any Federally protected lands. Take a look at Phil Lymans Facebook page and you will get a sense of the type of people there. They don't want federal lands, then people visiting Federal Lands please don't spend your money there.

Apr 10th - 07:38am | Destry Jarvis

With all of these outstanding valaues, it should be managed by the National Park Service, not some multiple use, sustained yield agency (BLM).  BY law, it is now managed under FLPMA authority.

OIG: Former Yosemite National Park Superintendent Had Brusk Management Style

Apr 10th - 19:58pm | Kurt Repanshek

Brusk is also acceptable, though not used as commonly, Megaera.

Apr 10th - 18:41pm | Megaera

The word you're looking for is "brusque," not "brusk."

President Trump Donates $78,333 To National Park Service, Critics Label It Publicity Stunt

Apr 10th - 12:20pm | trailadvocate

Argalite,  could be only one camp that climate change is going on.  I personally don't know anyone that doesn't believe its going on.  The division begins for those that believe only evil Republicans are causing it.  Lots and lots of money to be made on the latter.

Apr 10th - 11:36am | argalite

I bet you could boil this discussion into 2 camps.  Those who know climate change is happening and we are the cause, and those who do not believe (not scientists) that 99% of scientists are correct.  It has nothing to do with his "gift"

Apr 8th - 20:00pm | trailadvocate

Yep!  That's agreement to Mr. Runte.

Apr 8th - 19:43pm | Yacht Rocker

As a 36 year former employee of NPS, and no Trump lover, I was pleased that Mr T gave his paycheck to NPS.  NPS got off on the wrong foot with inane tweets that pulled the tiger's tail.  Totally unnecessary and incendiary.  Stupid!  Sad!  Anyways, glad he chipped in and I hope it was received with some graciousness - more than has been shown here by some commenters.

Apr 8th - 18:43pm | wild places

Of course critics will find fault. That's what makes them critics but it doesn't make them right. Trump could have wiped out the entire maintenance backlog and there would still be critics. Both sides play this game and it hurts everyone. Ask yourself how much was that backlog reduced under Obama's 8 years in office.

Apr 8th - 15:56pm | Alfred Runte

A few years ago, a Tacoma, Washington, billboard ran this headline for several months. The client was a local TV station advertising the "superiority" of its take on the news. "At 10 It's News. At 11 It's History."

Apr 8th - 13:10pm | Rick B.

We are talking today, concerned citizen, not the past. Although, with your "false narratives" I'm afraid you sip right at the party line on Fox, and we will not have a meaningful conversation.

Apr 8th - 07:40am | Concerned Citizen

Had Obama gave this money, which he never donated one thin dime to NPS, there would have so much praise.  President Trump gave money to the Park Service but the ungratefuls are lemmings spewing false narratives about his motives.  Tell me who, in the Obama administration gave an equal amount or more to the NPS.

Apr 5th - 22:04pm | ecbuck

The millions he's wasting simply by spending his weekends at the private club in Florida instead of Camp David show that he's adding to, not draining the swamp. And the Billions he is saving the American public proves just the opposite.  Sorry, I missed your whining when Obama was taking is multi-million vacations.

Apr 5th - 20:15pm | Glad2bretired

Yes, this was a shameful publicity stunt.  I doubt Trump really gives a hoot about the National Parks.  He will make up for his donation to the Parks exponentially by mixing his business with his Presidential duties.  I held out some hope that he might grow into his new job, but it is obvious now that he won't.

Visit The Florida Keys On Your Next Spring Vacation

Apr 9th - 15:06pm | Laura Muehlbrad

I did consider the Dry Tortuga's trip. Drove from New Jersey to Key West the end of March. The ferry was booked until May or $500 per person seaplane price. Hotels in Key West were way over priced and smelled bad.

National Park Foundation Sends $25,000 To Fire Relief Fund At Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Apr 9th - 10:43am | Tim M

It's gotten to the point that I click on some folks comments just to see how negative they're going to be.

Apr 9th - 00:06am | Rick B.

Your county there has a population, per wiki, of around 99,000. Out of an approximate US population of 327,000.000, that makes for a goodly number of "out of towners", your derisive term. Around where I live we put it in terms of up river or down river. The further upriver, the more rural, and the more downriver the more like 'city folk'.

Apr 8th - 18:05pm | SmokiesBackpacker

There is a lot of money flowing to Sevier County these days from all over.  The Sevier county folks will be fine.  You might find it interesting that Sevier County is the most Republican county in the State of TN and arguably one of the most right wing enclaves in America. It is Trump County, a red as red can be commerce at all costs place.

Apr 7th - 13:26pm | Rick B.

Those were horrible and shameful incidents you cite, no way to justify them. And they have nothing to do with the donation that this article is about.

Apr 7th - 09:00am | SmokiesBackpacker

That's a great gesture.  However, if entities like this wanted to make some real, lasting change within the NPS, they should devote some time and resources to studying why the NPS allowed a woman to get mauled and eaten by bears in the GRSM while a ranger stood by doing nothing. Note that one of those NPS employees is still in a position of power at Great Smokies.

Mount Who? How Did This Famous Park Get Its Name?

Apr 8th - 14:58pm | Tracker

To be fair, greed is how the lakota aquired it.  US treaty with the Crow (1825) outlined the Crow territory to include western minnesota and the dakotas. It was after that that the Souix desplaced the Crow by war.It wasn't until 1851 that the US govt recognized the Souix people has holding that land.

Lifetime "Senior" and "Access" Park Passes Now Available By Mail

Apr 8th - 09:56am | Kurt Repanshek

Buy another when you get to the parks, Wanda.

Apr 8th - 09:48am | Wanda Schlutt

I recently lost my card on a trip, coming back from Hawaii .  How do I go about replacing it? I will be traveling this summer to parks,  do I just wait till I go to the parks and pay and replace it then?

Heat Possibly Played Role In Death Of Grand Canyon National Park Hiker

Apr 7th - 10:35am | Rick

The wilderness areas in National Parks (and other agencies) are just that. Wilderness. You need to be prepared and aware of the dangers and your capabilities. I have permits for Half Dome this August and won't go if wet. I will have great gloves and a safety harness. I have hiked to Phantom Ranch 3 times (once in August) and The Wave in July.

Mount Rainier National Park Swamped With Backcountry Permit Requests

Apr 7th - 09:56am | tahoma

It's good to see the NPS managing the Wonderland Trail and backpacking based on carrying capacity.   I wish Mount Rainier would do the same for vehicles at Nisqually Entrance during the majority of each year when the road to Paradise is a dead-end.  The parking capacity along this twenty-mile road must be only a few thousand, yet there seems no limit to the number of vehicles admitted on some w

Sens. Warner, Portman Introduce Legislation To Wipe Out National Park Service Maintenance Backlog

Apr 7th - 09:05am | Abe Medina

While its a great idea, and legislative step in the right direction, it doesnt move fast enough. By the time all 12 billion is spent on deferred maintenance (2047), the population of the US will have grown to over 400 million, and our parks will have gone through 30 more years of more backlogged maintenance.

Grizzly Bear Shot and Killed By Hikers In Denali National Park and Preserve

Apr 6th - 17:27pm | JBnID

Only an idiot would pick a fight with a bear in thick brush with a pistol, so I have to assume he was defending his partner. It worked.  Some other things 'might' have worked, but this one did for sure.

Mountain Man: John Colter, The Lewis & Clark Expedition, And The Call Of The American West

Apr 6th - 17:25pm | Karolyn Kinsey

I took classes in Yellowstone about mRNA men in the park which earned me 8 credit hrs from byu so learned about Colter. Great a new book about him

Apr 6th - 12:04pm | Rick B.

I'm looking forward to reading the book. Mountain men of that era have always been a fascination of mine, as my family was distantly related to a prominent one.

Tracking Yosemite National Park Black Bears? This Website Lets You Do That

Apr 6th - 16:32pm | tomp2

EC-- Alas, when I took this job I joked that it took a 9 month FBI background check for me to be able to work with data on bears, not even bears themselves.  While I'm sure they have a research permit and thus an entry in RPRS, I don't have access to those data.

Apr 5th - 16:53pm | ecbuck

Thanks Tomp2,   I realize there is a delay but from the tracks of the two bears that are on the site, it would appear that keep in a realtively confined area.  But I am curious, how many of the bears are actually GPS tracked.

Fossilized Tracks Stolen From Death Valley National Park

Apr 5th - 18:03pm | Daryl L. Hunter

It would be helpful if the NPS had supplied larger photos of the backpackers.  It looks like they are carrying something that doesn't look like backpacker gear, can't tell for sure in small photo.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide