It’s the age-old question: What gift do I give Dad for Father’s Day? Instead of buying Dad another tie or a big mouth bass talking wall decoration, why not get him something that he will really love and can really use?
Here’s a top ten list of worthy Father’s Day gifts for the national parks lover, the outdoorsman, the history buff, or the music aficionado:
1. America the Beautiful Pass with the Passport To Your National Parks®: Dad will love getting free admission to national parks and other public lands. This set is a great way to encourage Dad to start checking off the parks on his bucket list. $86.95
2. I Support America’s National Parks Gift Set: What a great way for Dad to show off his love of national parks with this gift set, which includes a lapel pin, mug, stainless steel water bottle and khaki baseball hat, all emblazoned with the “Supporter” logo. $44.95.
3. America the Beautiful Commemorative Quarter Map: The United States Mint began releasing the America the Beautiful Quarters in 2010. This is a great gift for the numismatist Dad who loves national parks. The 2012 quarters include El Yunque National Forest, Chaco Culture National Historical Park, Acadia National Park, Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park and Denali National Park and Preserve. This product is proudly made in the U.S.A.! $14.95
4. Freedom is Coming: Songs of Freedom, Resistance & the Underground Railroad CD and book: If Dad is a Jazz fan, he will love this 2 CD set featuring the Underground Railroad Freedom Singers and produced by New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park. This set demonstrates the origins of jazz music in old African spiritual songs. Two CDs, $16.99.
5. The National Parks: America’s Best Idea, by Ken Burns and Dayton Duncan: Did Dad love Ken’s Burns’ documentary on PBS? Give him the companion book, which features breathtaking color photos, the history of the national park system and unique insights and stories about the national parks. Hardcover, 404 pages. $50.00
6. Founding Brothers DVD Set: Based on Joseph Ellis's Pulitzer Prize winning book, Founding Brothers examines six moments when the collisions and collusions of the "Founding Fathers" left an indelible imprint on the nation: the secret dinner that determined the site of the capital and America's financial future; Benjamin Franklin's call for an end to slavery; George Washington's farewell address to the nation; John Adam's term as president; Hamilton and Burr's fatal duel, and the final reconciliation between Adams and Jefferson. Drawing on the words of the founders and incisive commentary from leading scholars, Dad will love this elegant and engaging portrait of America's origins. Features interactive menus and scene selection. Color, 2 DVDs, approx. 200 minutes plus extras. $49.95.
7. A Traveler’s Guide to the Civil Rights Movement: This comprehensive guide lists contains a state-by-state listing of the museums, monuments, and historic landmarks which are significant to the Civil Rights movement. From the public schools where Brown v Board of Education was first implemented to the Southern cities where boycotts, sit-ins, and marches mobilized a generation of brave American's, Dad can retrace the path from slavery to Civil Rights. Written by Jim Carrier, 384 pages, softcover. $14.00
8. Civil War Starter Set: If Dad is a Civil War buff, he will be in his glory with the Civil War Starter Set. It includes two books, The Civil War Remembered: The Official National Park Service Handbook and America’s National Parks: Civil War Handbook. Also included are two laminated bookmarks and a mug which sports the Civil War Sesquicentennial logo, all for only $24.95.
9. Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln’s Killer- Audio Book: Does Dad like crime dramas? He’ll love this New York Times bestseller! The assassination of Abraham Lincoln sparked one of the greatest manhunts in history. John Wilkes Booth led Union troops on a 12 day chase from the streets of Washington DC, through the swamps of Maryland to the forests of Virginia. A fascinating tale of murder, intrigue and betrayal, this gripping hour-by-hour account is history as you’ve never experienced it! Nine hours on seven CD’s, $34.95. Also available in book format.
10. Shiloh: Fiery Trial DVD& Blu-Ray: This new film captures the story of this decisive two-day battle both from the perspective of its commanders and the common soldier. Filmed entirely on location on Shiloh Battlefield, this epic movie utilizes 50 horses, 10 artillery batteries, and over 350 re-enactors, who fired over 24,000 rounds of ammunition during the production. Fiery Trial provides an excellent orientation to this critical event in American history, but with a depth and a level of historical precision that will satisfy any serious scholar of the first major Civil War battle in the western theater. In addition to the new film in both Blu-Ray & DVD format, this item includes a full color booklet on the battle, the park, and the making of the movie; plus the classic 1956 film Shiloh: Portrait of a Battle. $24.95
Your purchase on eParks.com supports vital interpretive and educational programs in America’s national parks. eParks.com is operated by Eastern National, a cooperating association with the National Park Service and other public trusts. Since 1947, Eastern National has donated over $105 million to the National Park Service in the form of direct donations and grants. Learn more about Eastern National at www.EasternNational.org