• National Park Quiz 4: Beaches   6 years 9 weeks ago

I've fixed the problem by deleting the "super bonus" question #12. Thank you very kindly for spotting that error. BTW, perhaps you can tell me why Lowell's river swimming beach was closed for a time. My notes indicate that it was "reopened" in 1996.

• National Park Quiz 4: Beaches   6 years 9 weeks ago

Not to be a dud, but the river swimming is not in or administerd by Lowell NHP. It is property of Massachusetts DCR and staffed by the City of Lowell Parks and Recreation.

• Cape Hatteras National Seashore Beaches Among Country's Best   6 years 9 weeks ago

OK, OK. Two hundred and fifty thousand dollars and 25% overhead, but that's my final offer.

• National Park Quiz 4: Beaches   6 years 9 weeks ago

Good, tough quiz. I got 8 out of 12. I would have thought with the Ft. Pickens road being down at Gulf Islands NS that they would have permitted ORV access there - but I guess not. Also, although the correct answer to #9 is quite clear, Cumberland Island National Seashore is, I believe, actually at some risk for a tsunami - although large earthquakes are uncommon in that portion of the Atlantic. For example, if Cumbre Vieja in the Canary Islands were ever to go, as a few people have speculated....

Or, you could just rely on the magic of Google: ;-)

Well, Sabattis, I think it might take some more research on our part to get the exact answer. Unless we know for sure that the no-repeat rule has been in play since the first list was generated, we can't be sure that there weren't at least a few repeat winners of the #1 ranking. It's possible that Dr. Beach got sick and tired of giving the #1 spot to the same beach year after year and installed the no-repeat rule somewhere along the way in order to give other beaches a fighting chance. I think we should assemble a team of crack scientists to investigate this situation. The process will, of course, require on-site inspection of all the eligible beaches. Seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars (plus 36% overhead) should just about do it. I will be happy to serve as co-principle investigator.

• Search on For Overdue Hikers In Grand Canyon National Park   6 years 9 weeks ago

This sounds like one of those very rare times when they should have been carrying a SPOT. Let's all hope that they are well and will be found soon.

Well, I believe it should actually only be 27. 17 winners from previous years can all claim a permanent "top beach" ranking, along with the 10 beaches on this year's list.

No offense taken, Sabattis. (And anyway, I've been married 44 years and am quite used to punishment.) How did you derive that total of 28 beaches that can claim to be top-tenners?

• Traveler's View: Concealed Weapons Have No Place In Our National Park System   6 years 9 weeks ago

Neil,

If you've been reading the Traveler long enough to have it on your homepage, you should have recognized a long time ago where I stood on concealed weapons in the parks, not too mention recreational snowmobiles in Yellowstone, and PWCs in some areas. At the same time, I guess it shows that not all of the articles on the site are "worthless drivel."

I've long believed in constructive dialog on issues, for only through that can one come to see another's point of view. You might not agree with that point of view, but at least you know where that person is coming from and perhaps begin to understand how they got there. If you've been reading all the comments on the gun issue you've no doubt noticed that Fred and I stand on different sides of the issue, but we both support the national parks and we respect each other's views without feeling a need to cast aspersions.

I've never expected each and every Traveler reader to agree with the positions we take. That's not the point, and certainly wouldn't be worthwhile. But I certainly hope that those positions spur dialog on the site for the above-mentioned reasons.

One way or another the gun issue will pass, Neil, and be replaced by countless other issues facing the national parks. The Traveler will continue to report on and examine those issues. If you care enough about the parks, hopefully you'll want to read about those issues if only to provide another perspective.

Hi Bob - I do hope that you don't take it personally. I'm obviously only here because I enjoy the blog, but my personality does often trend towards being the resident gadfly. Thanks for explaining the "retirement rule" on this List - so I guess that means that there are only 28 beaches that can claim to be on the "Top 10 Beaches in America" list... Not so bad, I guess...

Paula, Are you saying that you are already taking your concealed weapon w/you while you are currently going into the back country hiking , camping and hiking? So be it . From what I understand you never had a so called right to have your concealed weapon w/ you but that didnt stop you ... what is it about this proposed legislation that would alter your already established behavior/choices?

Thanks for being honest Kurt...I called you out on the carpet and you showed your true colors. Now I (and from the comments over half the others) can remove your liberal slant from my homepage and be done with your worthless drivel.

Would that be the backcountry of George Roagers Clark NHP? the backcountry of the Saint Loius Arch? The backcountry of the Statue of Liberty? The backcountry of Martin Luther King, Jr.? Get real. Not all parks are wild natural areas. Do we really want guns in Lincoln's Home or at Kennedy Birthplace?

Speaking about carrying guns in the back country. I had a dear friend who was a naturalist ranger for Sequoia National Park, once confronted me with a real Scary Larry scenario in the back regions of the park. After a day's heavy hiking and ready to bed down for the night, he suddenly hears this drunken boisterous talk about shooting the place up. He investigates just over the ridge and spies on a group of gun-toting gang of youths. He sees guns going off in all directions with drunken talk of blasting things left and right. The ranger finds the situation too dangerous to intervene. He slowly escapes without being detected and heads back to base camp and reports. Moral of the story is: if you want more guns in the park, I'm sure you're going to find more episodes like...and more threatening. For safer parks: leave your guns at home!

Nicely said Paula !! Don't forget to post your comments SUPPORTING the change of firearms regulations !!

I am a single women and I love going into the National Parks. I love going into the back country, hiking and camping. If I can not carry my concealed weapon... (which I carry for my personal protection)... I would not use the Park System at all. I would not be paying entrence fees to enjoy America. My point is, If you take away my right to protect myself while I am in the back country, well then you had better provide me with a trained body guard (free of charge). I have a right to keep and bare arms, (even if I am a single woman). I will exercise that right along with all of my other rights.
    Sincerely,
    Paula Jean Tyler

I cannot understand why he includes beaches in the Hamptons. Beaches open only to residents and not to the general public. At least all NPS areas are open the whole pblic. Hard to beat the beaches of Cumberland Island and Fire Island that are free from roads and parking lots.

Kurt - thank you for your principled position on this issue. Those who support the proposal to allow concealed guns in national parks ignore professional park rangers and managers, the statistical data that show that national parks are among the safest places to be in America, and the important concept that national parks are intended to be very special places - different from the places where we work and live. Instead they are driven by self-interest and short-term personal benefits, rather than the long-term good for the population as a whole, for visitors and resources in national parks. We've had too much of that crammed down our throats in the past few years. It's time we look to the benefits of our children and their children and to saving the special places they will visit and enjoy decades from now.

Bill Wade
    Chair, Executive Council
    Coalition of National Park Service Retirees

• Rare Letters Stolen From Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace By Historian Recovered   6 years 9 weeks ago

Wow, this gives historians a bad name! And Theodore Roosevelt had their collection in a vault, no less. Meanwhile, at Blue Ridge Parkway, it has taken years to get the archives into a safe place with proper climate control, security, and organization. I've just written about this over on the Blue Ridge Parkway blog at: http://www.blueridgeparkwayblog.com/super-scenic-motorway-a-historians-parkway/history/adventures-of-blue-ridge-parkway-archives

Just goes to show that our rare national archival treasures -- the raw materials of history -- need as much attention, funding, and care as our natural treasures do.

Anne Mitchell Whisnant, Ph.D.
    Historian & Author of Super-Scenic Motorway: A Blue Ridge Parkway History
    Chapel Hill, NC

I'm no expert, but my only argument here is that CHNS deserves to be higher up on the list! Where else can you find such an unspoiled, fragile ecosystem? Perfect vacation spot. Dreaming of the day I retire to a quiet cottage in the shadows of Cape Hatteras Lighthouse... I'm open to offers to take a B&B off a frazzled innkeeper's hands as well! :)

• Creature Feature: The American Marten   6 years 9 weeks ago

All this time, and with a fairly interested view of wildlife, and I've never even heard of this animal before. Color me deprived.

Add this to my list of "must do before too much longer." I feel so deprived. ;-)

• National Park Entrance Fees Frozen at 2007 Levels   6 years 9 weeks ago

I suspect it won't matter that rates are kept the same if visitors are down due to these exploding gasoline prices. I do know that less visitors mean less revenue means less ability to maintain that which is there.

Sabattis, it seems like every time I turn around I find you yanking my chain. :o) OK, here's the deal with that "no-repeat" rule. A beach that attains the number one ranking is retired from the list. Ocracoke Island's Lifeguard Beach was ranked number one in 2007, so the no-repeat rule rendered it ineligible for consideration this year. If Cape Hatteras Beach is ever ranked number one, it too will be retired from the list. Meanwhile, it is eligible to be be listed every year, and so is every other beach that has never been ranked number one.