• Congressman Calls for Full EIS of Proposal to Allow Concealed Carry in America's National Parks   6 years 11 weeks ago

Thank God someone in DC has some sort of backbone.

Well said Kurt. I'm composing a slightly more intelligent response now. I'll post it later.

I don't believe my eyes. A member the ruling elite openingly identifying this pitiful maneuver of legistlative pandering as nothing short of electioneering geared toward pacification of special interests? From a Western state no less. And a LIBERAL to boot! What's this world coming to.......his term must not be up anytime soon!
    Well done Raul. Let me know if you need any help stuffing the election box when your time comes around. I'll show you how to retain your seat without the lobbyist money.
    Vote early and often is the mantra in my State. It's worked for local Dems here for decades........why not share the wealth?

That saw cuts at least two ways, Fred;-)

• National Parks Traveler Launches User Forums   6 years 11 weeks ago

Joe--

I was impressed by the many Australian rangers whom I met at the International Ranger Federation's World Ranger Congress held in Wilsons Promontory NP in Victoria, Austrailia. They seemed to have their heads screwed on right. It was an impressive group. You made a good choice.

BTW, while visiting neighboring New Zealand on the same trip, I went to a national park that I had to add to my list of favorite national parks, Fjordlands NP on the South Island. It contains awesomely beautiful scenery.

Rick

• National Parks Traveler Launches User Forums   6 years 11 weeks ago

Rick

Queensland Parks and Wildlife, Queensland Australia. Well trained hands on park rangers who regularly sleep in the bush on a swag (aussie for bedroll) to perform a multitude of National Park duties from feral animal control, native species inventory, beach protection, trail construction, fire management, weed control and more. The best and most knowledgeable staff I have ever had the pleasure of working with.

Joe

• Nevada Barr’s Next Park Novel: An Unauthorized Preview   6 years 11 weeks ago

Since you're an experienced Nevada Barr reader, Debbie, maybe you could provide some advice for newcomers. Would you recommend that a newbie read the 14 books featuring ranger Anna Pigeon in chronological order, from first to last, or would it be OK for her/him to start with the most recent one (Winter Study) or perhaps any book in the series? I have my own ideas about that, but I'm curious what other Nevada Barr fans think.

• Interior Officials Want to Allow Concealed Carry in the National Parks   6 years 11 weeks ago

For those who argue that people who hold a permit for concealed carry are "well-trained in the use of a gun," check this article out:

I'd hate to meet any of those folks carrying a gun in the Everglades!

• Nevada Barr’s Next Park Novel: An Unauthorized Preview   6 years 11 weeks ago

Thank you for this article. Love the Nevada Barr novels I have read and look forward to finding others. We listen to books on CD driving into the night to get to our vacation destination (usually a NP). No better company than Anna Pigeon when driving into the night! We really enjoy the insight she gives into the inner workings of the park system that the average tourist never sees. Whether reading or listening to the CD, she is a great entertaining author, she provides a great character and beautifully intriguing settings!

RonC
    I love ONP also.
    I see bear (up close even) about every backpack.
    Try the east side tree line meadows late summer during blueberry time.
    Could be early fall this year (?)
    I'll be out there for sure!

IMHO carrying a weapon for fear of bear and other critters,
    into Our National Parks in the lower 48 is just silly.
    HYOH!

• Groups Sue To Overturn Removal of Greater Yellowstone Wolves from Endangered Species List   6 years 11 weeks ago

Bob, you seem to be an ethical hunter and I am so glad there are a few of you left out there ! Wish I could share a beer with you ! Hopefully before we kill most of the great predators AGAIN, mankind will wake up and appreciate what makes our great wilderness and wildlife so very special and precious.

The point has been made that a gun probably won't protect me from a bear. I don't carry because of the bears. I carry for the same reason John Steadham carries: to protect myself and my loved ones. My primary concern is to encounter a snake, either the kind that slither, or the kind on two legs.

One carries a gun in a park for the same reason one carries it anywhere else . To protect yourself and loved ones. not just to kill something.......DUH

• Senators' Letter to Open National Parks to Concealed Weapons   6 years 11 weeks ago

My wife and I have camped at Acadia National Park in Maine, 12 of the past 15 years. We have never encountered a "derelict" nor any other campers strolling about, packing their weapons. Both facts make us feel happy and secure. Packing a weapon is a sign of insecurity. Think about it.

Eric,
    I will! It will be Olympic National Park this summer (err if the snow ever melts!). What an awesome place.
    I actually saw a black bear two years ago. I was disapointed in the picture (I prefer shooting wildlife with a camera for sure.) But he was just too far away.

Thanks RonC, It will be interesting to see how all of this unfolds, above all have fun and enjoy the wonders of our beautiful National Parks as I will continue to do no matter what happens!

Here is the original petition....

Eric,
    I was not trying to ge personal. My attempt at a little humor I guess did not come across well and for that I apologize (You have heard that bear joke right?).

We can certainly agree to disagree but if it is legal to hike with a sidearm, then I will. If it required to be concealed, then nobody will ever see it. That being said, when I hike "with the guys", I am less likely to carry. With my family, then very likely. Will I ever need it? 99.9% says I will never evetr need it. We all know that. But the for the 0.1% chance I would rather have the sidearm than not. I have never in my life needed it and hope I never do. The implications are huge.

I believe that most people who will carry will do so on the backcountry. That is where I would like to have the option. As for a bad guy havaing a gun in the backcountry, remember they are a bad-buy and they do not care. They will have them regardless. The law abiding people are the ones that will not carry if illegal and are then defenselss. As for bears and such. Well they don't care I guess. They are usually afraid of us, unless it is a momma bear.

RonC, Why get personal? I don't have an 8 year old daughter, I do have one on the way and I would not take her where I was, An 8 year old probably would not be able to. The picnic table remark was from another persons post, I used as an exagerated example. why am I curious about you carrying in a NP? Because you stated earlier "How many times do you think somebody has brought in a gun illegaly into a NP and you did not know it?" What was I thinking, who would admit it anyway? Right? Let's just agree to disagree and keep it civil, you don't know me and I don't know you. If you really think I would run past my daughter(to be) to save myself, well, you are just grasping for some way to argue about this. I don't think I have taken any personal shot's at you, if I have I apologize, that is not what this is about. It is about expressing how each person feels about the situation. I don't make up stories about my experiences, I don't need to impress you or anyone else. I enjoy this forum and the comments made by the people here. I think we all may learn something, YES even you and I from these discussions as long as they don't get personal and nasty. I too carried Bear spray and yes I was lucky it worked, as for the tree, I was young and inexperienced at the time. We all have our opinions and that is why we are here.

Bear spray says it all! If you miss your shot buddy with a hand gun against a full charging bear...you're mince-meat! At least with bear spray you don't shoot your buddy by mistake in a panic attack.

Hey NoGunsInParks, I carry bear spray!

From the Brady Campaign web site:

In many states, statutory requirements are minimal and do not go much beyond the Federal Brady Law requirements for purchasing firearms – meaning that some people get CCW permits despite criminal convictions for violent or drug-related misdemeanors. Training requirements are extremely lax in many states or do not even require a licensee to prove that he or she knows how to load, fire, or store a firearm.

Bear spray is more effective than guns:

Eric,
    Well it is your choice to not carry. Good for you. I desire to carry, good for me. I think I implied strongly in my earlier post that I do not carry when it is illegal. I only carry when it is lawful.

Your fear, it appears is that somebody is pull the gun and shoot over a picnic table. I suppose it could happen but then if so, it will happen illegally, will it not? For all the gun free zones we have, where are the most problems....gun free zones. Virginia tech is a gun free zone. You might also note that states that have a CCW law have seen no increase in violent crimes or decreases. That is a fact. So again I believe you are fearful of a non issue.

You say you have been charged by a bear in Montana. What would you have done if you had your eight year old daughter with you? Oh yea I guess she is slower than you.....You just have to be faster than her! Also if you got that close to a bear, I would say you are quite irresponsible, and should know better, and remember bears can climb trees better than you. You were simply lucky. You also made my point.

I do find it interesting that you wanted to know if I carry illegally. Why?

I have yet to hear a good reason to carry fire arm in a NP. As for being fearful, I for one am not, I don't have a reason to carry a fire arm in the NP's. It seems the ones who feel they have to carry a fire arm are the ones who are fearful. As for how many people have carried fire arms illegaly into NP's who knows? RonC, Have you illegaly carried a fire arm into a NP? When some "responsible" Moron with a gun shoots someone or an animal because of fear, or overthe use of a picnic table or a campsite. Then what? An apology? Too late. Sorry I just don't see it, it makes no sense to me. I'm not against guns, I used to hunt, I just choose not to now. So until someone comes up with a rock solid reason for this I say its nonsense. I have been charged by a bear in Montana, and treed by a bear in Minnesota, no gun, just common sense and learning the do's and don'ts while in the backcountry, millions of people do it every day in the NP's without guns. So...