• National Parks Contribute Holiday Ornaments to White House Christmas Tree   6 years 33 weeks ago

Gee, Jim, I never could imagine someone so sensitive over Christmas tree ornaments but you obviously are. If you weren’t so, then you could understand how such ornaments will make the public more aware of the NPS, its role, and how individuals can help the NPS. I’ve given 25 years of volunteer service to the NPS in many ways: committees for the National Park Foundation, served on Friends boards for NPS sites, and given time helping at NPS sites.

I believe that if everyone helped in such ways instead of being so sensitive to Christmas tree ornaments, then our parks and monuments would be in great shape. I’m also confident that all of us can better serve the NPS by contributing more while complaining less, which would be a great lesson for you to learn.

That is what this year’s White House Christmas tree hopes to do. And, it’s succeeding because of all the good news from it this Christmas season.

Merry Christmas,
    Bob

• Why Is Interior Dragging Feet On Keeping Glacier National Park from Being Shelled?   6 years 33 weeks ago

I think it snows about 300 days a year there.

• Conservation Groups Urge National Park Service to Reinstate Jet Ski Bans   6 years 33 weeks ago

I say we just sell off the parks since we can't enjoy 'em anymore. I don't want a cent of my tax dollars supporting them either.

What's this about Laura Bush being an advocate for the parks? Really? She needs to sit down and have a serious talk with her husband.

• Grand Teton Puts Down Another Bear   6 years 33 weeks ago

Wow, you pretty much summed it up right there, Beamis.

I first started as a seasonal ranger, eleven years ago. I worked for a number of years as a campground ranger and in fee collection at the entrance stations. When i took my first job in interpretation, i was full of enthusiasm and a belief that i could make a difference. I felt like it was such a privelege to be part of the history of our parks, and of course the NPS has a fantastic mission statement. But that's really all just on paper.

The agency appoints superintendents who try to circumvent the rules whenever they can get away with it. They often follow the letter of the law and not the spirit of it. I have seen permanent career employees who are either shockingly apathetic about resource issues or make decisions that will advance their careers even to the detriment of the park (like agreeing with really poor decisions from on high, instead of speaking up.) I had one supervisor in the recent past who was an amazing man ... passionate, intelligent, vocal and he was consistently passed over for promotion.

The summer before last i was fairly fired up about a pending decision to "improve" the Gros Ventre campground. It's a large campground on the southern flank of the park, it has several hundred campsites, and hardly anyone stays there. And the reason for that is because it's on a side road that for some reason on the park map looks like it's not paved. After the privatization three years ago, the lodge company began agitating for improvements like 100+ sites with electrical hookups for RV's, and they wanted to build shower facilities and a camp store and a bloody laundromat (i'm not even kidding!!!) Meanwhile, the town of Jackson is a mere 5 miles away! For some reason, the park superintendant was all for this plan which is currently on a back burner, not off the table mind you, due to a lack of funding.

This side road that the campground is on just happens to go through the area where most of the park's bison and antelope give birth to their calves. It's also one of the few places in the park in June, July and August where you can take a nice leisurely drive to watch wildlife and not pass a thousand other people. I've sat on the shoulder of that road at dusk, watching the bison, deer and elk and also watching across the valley the headlights from hundreds of cars on the park's main road. In both directions ... a solid line of car after car after car. Meanwhile, where i am, i might see two or three vehicles in a half an hour.

But if you build it, they will come. Adding electrical hookups and services to the Gros Ventre campground would increase the traffic out there by what? A hundred fold? More? I mean, i agree there is a lack of amenities for RV'ers that need hookups but there are also three other campgrounds on the main road that they could "improve" instead. What kind of value should we place on keeping the solitude of that part of the valley? For crying out loud, it's not 1930 ... the NPS should be waaaaaay past the point of development simply to encourage visitation. So .... i was fired up about this topic, and basically i couldn't find anyone else in my district that cared. Supervisors or seasonals. No one cared. No one was even interested in discussing it with me.

And the situation this summer with the bears was simply the icing on the cake. Several of these deaths could have been averted by having a ranger staff patrolling the campground, and closing trails and backcountry campsites to the public, but no one wanted to make the decision to close trails. Why? Because we have to be a good "neighbor" to the community of Jackson. If we close the trails or campsites some local residents might be unhappy. (This excuse is a political decision i heard repeatedly over the last few years to justify many absurd policy decisions.)

This past summer i finally realized ... i have no ideals or enthusiasm left for the National Park Service. The beaureaucracy has crushed it out of me. Stick a fork in me, i'm done.

I still want to live in a national park ... how can i do anything else at this point? And for the most part, i still like the job that i do. I do good work. I get positive feedback from the public, if not from the agency. And i have no intention of quitting. When i say that i believe i can change the agency from the inside, what i mean to say is ... i can do exactly what i did two summers ago. Write anonymous letters to the local papers, call up local environmental organizations and fill them in on the issues (which surprisingly they often know nothing about), and give them information that they might not have otherwise.

I worked with a gentleman who had met Ed Abbey when he was right out of college, and he likes to tell the story of what one of Abbey's supervisors had to say about him ... "You better keep an eye on that one. He's a thinker."

• Grand Teton Puts Down Another Bear   6 years 33 weeks ago

Let's face it folks, mavericks and outside-the-box thinkers don't have long term careers in the NPS. All of the independent minded people that I ever knew in the agency are all long gone, except for one person (who admits that working for the green & gray really sucks but stays on because this person actually enjoys the natural wonders of the park they are currently stationed in). Go figure.

I know that my experience is only one single example but I hear this same refrain from other colleagues who have left the agency that tell me the people that they admired the most as former co-workers have also left the NPS. Most of those that remain are what I call the "go along, get alongs", people that ride the wave to retirement and are quite content to give a sub-par performance as government careerists. These are also folks that would be totally unable to land the same high level of pay and benefits in the competitive marketplace. They know a good thing when they see it. Then there are the newly entitled, as I like to call them, federal hangers on like non-combat military veterans milking the 10-point cow as well as specially targeted classes of government decreed victims who are given preference over more qualified personnel due to their membership in a supposedly oppressed group or race. (I always put a check mark in the Pacific Islander box whenever I was required to fill out any government forms about my identity. It never seemed to get me the promotions I was looking for though.)

This is not the snapshot of a workforce that will tend to be overly eager to shift paradigms or rock the boat. A nice quiet glide towards a comfortable retirement on the good ship green & gray is more their speed (with all the paid holidays you can shake a stick at). I believe this is what upper management rewards and it is why the agency is the stagnant and inefficient morass that most outsiders see today. Most insiders do as well, but are generally way too afraid to say it all that loud.

I truly wish Melissa the best. I myself have built a successful company that conducts natural history tours and lectures to a wide spectrum of clients in a variety of national park areas across the country. I'd suggest that she think through all of her non-NPS options first before giving too much time and effort to an organization that values group-think and conformity over change and re-invention. The NPS often talks a good game but if you take a really close look at who actually works in the agency you'll find a strict obedience to the chain of command, along with a deep-seated fear of retribution and an overall mindset that highly values loyal soldiers who will march in lock step to the latest WASO initiative as the path of least resistance to a successful career in the dreary uniformity that is the way of the green & gray.

• Grand Teton Puts Down Another Bear   6 years 33 weeks ago

Jeremy,
    Thanks for pointing out those resources. While possibly helpful, they’re external to the NPS. There is no internal NPS structure that I know of (and someone please correct my ignorance on the subject) to assist current employees who would like to "make a change". That intimates that the NPS is inherently a conservative (small-c "conservative", not the big-C political term) organization; it resists change and prefers to perpetuate the status quo.

Again, I have to come back to our former mentor. Gary also said something like, "Perhaps the tacky myrtle wood sign in gift shops sums it all up: Grant me the ability to change the things I can, the ability to accept the things I cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference." It took Gary an entire career to learn that.

Gary tried to "make a difference", but he--as a GS-11 chief of interpretation--was marginalized by an inflexible system and those who vehemently defended it. (In fact, I believe that the system and those who marginalized him, those who stripped him of his pride, are partially culpable for the cancer that ended Gary's life.) I understand and even shared Melissa's idealism and I think Gary would have, too. But if someone in a loftier position can't change the system, how in the larger scheme of things can a seasonal ranger change it?

Jeremy, you say Melissa can be the change she wishes to see, and in this arena she has the most power to affect change: her own actions. However, conservative elements in the NPS may view her behavior as non-conformist and dangerous and she may suffer for it. I truly hope that won't be the case.

5.5 million for dealing with snow !!, what, does it snow 365 day a year. I want that job

• Grand Teton Puts Down Another Bear   6 years 33 weeks ago

In recent years, we've heard that folks on the inside of the NPS have felt their jobs would be in jeopardy if they spoke out about things they didn't like (the 2005 Management Policies 'Hoffman rewrite' as one example). But, there are organizations out there willing to help these folks make a change. These are groups like the Association of National Park Rangers (ANPR), the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees (CNPSR), and the Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER). ANPR for instance, offers a health insurance program for seasonals -- this is somewhat new. The CNPSR lead the charge against the Hoffman policies. I know you have issues with PEER Frank, but they have stayed on the Teresa Chambers case, years after it has fallen from the headlines.

My point, it is possible to affect change from the inside, but it takes some guts, the ability to cover your ass, and probably some help from friends on the outside. More power to you Melissa if you are willing to be the change you wish to see in the world.

• Grand Teton Puts Down Another Bear   6 years 33 weeks ago

With all due respect -- if you don't like what I have to say, don't read it. HH wondered what I had to say, so I obliged her. Also, nothing in my writing "belittles" anyone else; I'm merely expressing my opinion. "It's thoughts like yours that poison the well and make it that much more difficult." The well is already poisoned. It's comments like this that attempt to stifle dissent, to police the thoughts of others, which--in a society founded on liberty--I find very repugnant.

• Grand Teton Puts Down Another Bear   6 years 33 weeks ago

I think we all thought at some point in our ranger careers that we could change things from the inside. Unfortunately change is not something that is welcomed from the vast majority of entrenched bureaucrats who wish to maintain their privileged civil-service status, fat retirements and cushy assignments in paradise.

I'm pretty tired of being shot down by those who say that my experience was an aberration and that the NPS is just fine the way it is currently run and all that it needs is a lot more money thrown its way. I beg to differ and have done so consistently, as many regular readers already know.

I was able to affect a lot more change on the outside that I ever could on the inside. In one instance I had a superintendent grudgingly back down after I enlisted the aid of a U.S. Senator to get a totally bogus and onerous regulation removed after first trying friendly negotiation and reason. I would have never been able to accomplish this same feat with my career on the line.

The superintendent in question only did what he did because of the potential blot his exposed stupidity could've placed on his own legacy. He didn't act out of reasoned analysis of the situation but only because his position and status was threatened by a salvo of outrage from a much more powerful politician.

What I did worked in the given situation and benefited the park, I was even approached by rangers who said that they could've never accomplished the same thing without seriously damaging their careers and were very grateful for my efforts to curb their tyrannical boss. This is not the best way to manage natural resources or serve the visiting public. Not by a long shot.

For another slant I offer blog posts from the wonderful Retread Ranger Station: http://snipurl.com/1usfg then read http://snipurl.com/1usdp

Ranger Bob is a retired NPS ranger who left in good standing and truly loves the parks but is also very realistic about the actual conditions on the ground in a self-perpetuating bureaucracy that more often than not tends towards corruption and self-preservation in the higher ranks. Check out his blog, it's well worth your time.

• Park History: How the National Lakeshores Came to Be   6 years 33 weeks ago

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is gorgeous. We've visitied the Upper Penninsula a few times in past years, staying in Shelter Bay (a small area outside Au Train). The beaches are clean with sand dunes and sand soft under your toes. Chapel Falls area has a 7.5 mile round-trip trail through the forest that ends at Chapel Beach. It's the only walk-in way to get to a secluded bay unless you come in by boat. This area of Pictured Rocks is so secluded that we were the only people there. However, no amenities are available with the exception of a small outhouse. A nice place for a romantic picnic. There are other scenic trails leading to the lakeshore just as fantastic as the Chapel Falls trail. And, there's always the boat ride out of Munising, unless it's foggy. Miners Castle Overlook gives you a great view of Grand Island National Recreation Area, part of Hiawatha National Forest. We can't wait to go back again this Summer. We haven't seen all of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore yet or traveled all the forested trails in the Upper Penninsula.

• Grand Teton Puts Down Another Bear   6 years 33 weeks ago

With all due respect -- BS Frank. There are too many people looking to blame someone else. A journey of a million miles begins with one step. And another. And another. Everyone who works at the park and everyone who visits the park is to blame for not doing enough. Everyone. This problem won't get solved by all of us sitting back and counting on the charitable goodwill of the masses to maintain the parks. Also please stop belittling people who have the desire and will to make a difference. If enough people speak up from within change can happen. It's thoughts like yours that poison the well and make it that much more difficult. I don't care that your experience sucked, but thanks for sharing. A public trust still depends on people, and people are the source of the problem, not government. You go Melissa!

• Grand Teton Puts Down Another Bear   6 years 33 weeks ago

I love the parks and despite all the bureaucrats in charge, i can make a difference. I can change the operation from the inside.

Some advice from my mentor:

"Frank, you will not change the bureaucracy. I couldn’t; Norm Messinger couldn’t; John Krisco couldn’t; Brian Harry couldn’t; Wayne Cone couldn’t; John Muir couldn’t; Stephen T. Mather couldn’t. Thoreau, Jefferson, Michelangelo…the list goes on ad infinitum."

I got this advice from my mentor on my sixth season out of ten seasons with the NPS, and looking back, I sometimes think that I had gotten the advice earlier or at least understood it earlier; the "operation" of the NPS can't be changed from the inside.

A lowly seasonal will never be able to change the operation of the NPS. If you ask questions, if you show originality of thought, if challenge any of the NPS's sacred cows as a seasonal, forget about it. You can be fired at any time for any reason, and I know seasonals who were fired for speaking out against unsafe boat tours at Crater Lake and for sticking up for the private property owners at Mineral King in Sequoia. I've seen seasonals get reprimanded for pushing for recycling, opting out of dangerous training exercises, discussing environmental degradation caused by the NPS.

Try to get a permanent job so you can change the system. But the federal hiring system is so corrupt, so full of nepotism, favoritism, careerism, and more -isms than you can shake a stick at. Other groups will have preference over you, especially those already firmly entrenched in the civil service. Hell, a veteran working for the IRS and looking to escape hell will waltz right into a job in the park you've spent six summers in and know like the back of your hand.

If you do get a permanent job, by the time you've got it, you'll be struggling to pay back student loans that have pilled up for the years you worked seasonally. You'll get health insurance for the first time in years. You'll finally be on the road to a fat pension. You'll get comfortable. You won't speak out. Too dangerous. Might loose everything you've been working for. Besides, you can make some small changes, here and there, as a permanent ranger. Next thing you know, twenty years have gone by.

No, the system can't be changed from the inside. The only thing to be done is end the system. There is a better way. There is a way to end the corporate, government-sanctioned monopolies that have invaded our national parks. There is a way to end political influence in national parks. There is a way to create a stable funding source for the national park, that will not be subject to political stalemates (by the way, people were chanting the same "the NPS needs more money!" mantra during Clinton's administration).

It's called a public trust. I've talked about it before. If you're not familiar, you can read more about it if you want.

Also, please stop demonizing "privatization". The firms operating in the NPS are government-sponsored monopolies and multi-national corporations. Private art museums manage to protect their art, but I don't hear people screaming about the privatization of art. And for decades the NPS has allowed these corporations to fleece tourists and send the the vast majority of the profits out of the park and out of the country while charging a minuscule franchise fee that is often less than 5%. Sometimes it seems that the NPS was established primarily for the benefit of the tourism industry and concessionaires.

You have every right to be offended that the NPS is sponsoring such a multi-national monopoly that has no interest in preserving the park and doesn't bother to train its Czech employees. But realize, the such a corrupt system will crush internal dissent and can only be eliminated through external pressure.

• Grand Teton Puts Down Another Bear   6 years 34 weeks ago

Wow, Melissa's comments make my heart ache. I wish I could, like the others, tell you to "stick with it" but instead I'll give you my advice; "pace yourself" while trying to change things from the inside or move on.

I do think she gives a good example of where privatization of park can fail. I'm curious what Beamis and FrankHead have to say about this. Though, I suspect privatization is less to blame here than the undertrained, undermotivated, understaffed ranger force. Surely the Chief Ranger still has jurisdiction in these campgrounds. No?

There are many not-so-expensive ways to mitigate this campground/bear/human education problem (as Melissa explains it), but alas, I'm no longer on the pension payroll.

• Grand Teton Puts Down Another Bear   6 years 34 weeks ago

Yes Gerald, I realize that the lower subordinates dish out some of the fool hardy decisions of this present administration. Yes, fool hardy! But all this butt sniffing goes all the way to the top of the White House. Who do you think is guarding the hen house your fairy godmother? Damn right I blame the Bush administration for most of the crap that goes on within the national parks today. I didn't realize Mrs. Bush was such a lover of the national parks (I deeply welcome that) not until the latter part of the year, and not until the world was denouncing the Bush & Cheney doctrine on most of their anti-environmental polices, from global warming to the lack of wholesome support for the national parks, and other major pertinent conservation issues here in the U.S. and aboard.

• Grand Teton Puts Down Another Bear   6 years 34 weeks ago

Jen: Your comments are right on. Reminds me of an experience this summer in Yosemite. Checking into White Wolf tent cabins, I got the usual bear warnings. The man behind me look stupified. "You mean there are bears here!" "Real bears?" "Will they come into my tent?" Hard to believe that someone coming to Yosemite just had no clue. Of course, that night, a bear ransacked a bear box that had been carelessly left unlocked. Maybe by a person who just didn't think there really were bears in Yosemite National Park.

• Grand Teton Puts Down Another Bear   6 years 34 weeks ago

Melissa,

I too want to thank and congratulate you! Stick with it.

My experience is a bit varied. And I've never been a ranger - I'm on the research side of things (and of course, a visitor to many national parks). But my experience this summer - note, I was in Alaska, which is a different situation - is that many of the rangers often get slighted. By this I mean that they do have a tough decision - whether to take reports seriously. Many people may not realize how tough a decision they have, considering the varied sources of pressure they feel when making a decision. Many visitors to our parks - and all public lands - are so disconnected from the animals (and natural environments as a whole) they are watching that they do over-react too often. A couple of the rangers I met this summer deserve to hold on to their cynicism.

That said, we have too many people doing things in our parks (whether feeding the animals or whatever), that need to be stopped. I know that the interp staff at Rocky Mountain NP here in Colorado says that only about 5% of their 3 million annual visitors actually attend a ranger-led talk or program. Signs get ignored far more than they get read. Park literature is never looked at - even when given out for free. This is an audience problem, in my opinion. People need to be responsible. If you figure out how to force responsibility and maturity on people, let me know!

And until we reconnect many of our park visitors to the real world around them, situations like this Grand Teton - bear incident are not going to go away. We need to be the ones reaching out and trying to inform our fellow visitors. Maybe this can be some good peer pressure. :)

Jen

• Grand Teton Puts Down Another Bear   6 years 34 weeks ago

That's it "anonymous"...it's all Bush's fault...nevermind that his wife is a huge fan of the parks (unlike Bill Clinton's wife).
    You have absoulutely NO credibility in what you say as long as your ilk want to blame everything on the President and his administration. Did it ever occur to you that these decisions are made at a MUCH lower level???

• Grand Teton Puts Down Another Bear   6 years 34 weeks ago

My Dear Melissa, I hear you and do sympathizes with your anger which shows much utter disgust. This is a typical and normal reaction that any decent hard working ranger would have. Don't despair! I do commend you for your dedicated and devoted service to the national parks. In hindsight, this kind of response that you just reflected, does discourage many good potential candidates from becoming professional rangers. Long as we have a administration that's hell bent on exploiting our natural resources for rape, greed and pillage, and use the National Parks as a corporate entity to "to suck it for all it's worth", then the message is clear, are national crown jewels are up to the highest bidder. Melissa, if you can weather the storm regarding this kind of fiasco, and hang in there and not get dejected, then I whole hardily applaud you for your tenacity to stay the course. It's a phenomenal battle to contain when privatization takes the national parks as a gravy train for corporate greed. It's not about the parks but about cronyism and back room deals that rewards the biggest exploiters ( I do remember the MCA dealings in Yosemite many years ago). So, Melissa carry on with future professional endeavors and I wish you well.

• FAQs for Yellowstone's Snowmobile Decision Revealing   6 years 34 weeks ago

Must be tough on them during the summer months. Can't imagine many rental contracts are being written from May thru September. Hope they all managed to stash away enough booty from the winter bounty to survive during the economic drought that is the summer tourist season.(?)

• Park History: How the National Seashores Came to Be   6 years 34 weeks ago

Anon,

I am one of the rangers who wrote permits for the Otis Pike High Dune Wilderness Area. My supervisor pressured me to write permits after quotas had been reached. Exceeding wilderness permit quotas was a regular practice at the two visitor centers that write permits for the wilderness area.

Fire Island's founding legislation refers to the 8-mile strip of future wilderness, as stated in the 1983 wilderness management plan:

"Section 7(b) of this Act refers specifically to the '8 mile zone' and states 'access.....shall be provided by ferries and footpaths only.....no development or plan for the conveniences of visitors shall be undertaken therein which would be incompatible with the preservation of the..." blah blah blah. (Notice the author's irregular use of ellipses.)

A 1978 management plan placed that area into a special land use category "with the intent of preserving the unique values" of the future wilderness area.

Anyway, the emphasis of acts prior to the wilderness act is clearly preservation in as "primitive" state as possible, and they were initiated by the NPS. Additionally, the preliminary proposal resulted from NPS review of the strip of land.

So your assertion that "local people wanted [wilderness designation] to stop the NPS from making more visitor facilities" runs contrary to the history of NPS management of the wilderness area. The founding legislation, the 1978 management plan, and the wilderness management plan all contradict this assertion.

The same plan details removing 20 structures in the early 1990s when "reserved rights" ended. Basically, the NPS took the land, gave the "structure" (beach house) owners until 1992 before running them off. It also evicted a number of "squatters".

So, to me it seems like it was the NPS who wanted to halt any human habitation or development of the 8 mile strip between Watch Hill and Smith Point. The evidence runs contrary to the assertion that "local people wanted [the wilderness area] to stop the NPS from making more visitor facilities." If you have some documented evidence, I'd be happy to see it.

My assertion that the NPS wanted to drive on the beach is undocumented. I have only anecdotes to back up that assertion. I know the NPS controls who may and may not drive on the beach by issuing a very limited number of permits. Many locals asked me what they could do to get a permit so they could get building materials to their homes. Meanwhile, LE rangers cruise up and down and up and down and up and down the beach and resource management cruises many a Polaris and ATV all in the name of the greater good.

Some NPS employees view the local communities, which predate the park by MORE THAN 100 YEARS, as an obstacle to the greater good, something to overcome. The writers above view them as a "thorn in the Park Service’s side". This is an offense to the hard working people who live in Cherry Grove, Kismet, Ocean Beach, The Pines, and all the other unique and historical communities of Fire Island.

Dredging and bulk heading have also been done by the NPS. Buildings on the dunes predate the park. The island is a shifting spit of sand and has no intrinsic integrity.

Again, it is morally offensive for the government to seize land and then to label communities that have existed for almost 150 years as obstacles to progress.

• Why Is Interior Dragging Feet On Keeping Glacier National Park from Being Shelled?   6 years 34 weeks ago

I AGREE WITH SCOTT ------ "are these not the same people that used are tax dollars to bail them out of bankruptcy not long ago ? " ------ AND THIS HAPPENS TOO OFTEN OUR NON CORRUPT COUNTRY ! ! ! ! !

Sounds typical...the RR's are making the money, and always want the shareholders pocket books fat when pay day comes. Nevermind if it destroys Nature, and, I guess they think the park has to many animals. Grizzleys are off the endangered list right? Thats enough justifacation for them! The rich get richer and , well, you know the rest. With all of the pollution minded people, you would think that it would be great PR, for the RR company to build the snow sheds,maybe people would not look at them like any other money mongur, that cares for nothing but themselves and their money! God knows a Typical Engine belches out more pollution than a hundred cars in an hour of use! Come on RR Guys! Pull your head out of that oriface that it is burried in! For once, Help Mother Nature!

• Twenty-seven Years Ago, Eight National Parks Came to Be   6 years 34 weeks ago

Congratulation to all those amazingly beautiful parks.
    However, it's easier to create a national park than to keep and protect one !!!
    How is it in God's name possible that i.e. Katmai National Preserve today
    is a favourite grizzly slaughterhouse for all those so-called sports hunters.
    Instead it should be protected and admired for its beautiful nature and all wildlife
    that have Katmai as their natural habitat !!!!
    Look at it, don't destroy it !!!