Railfest 2014 Coming To Steamtown National Historic Site In Late August
Railroad buffs will be gathering in eastern Pennsylvania in late August, when Railfest 2014 is held at Steamtown National Historic Site.
The annual festival is scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, August 30 and 31 of Labor Day weekend. The National Park Service site, located in Scranton, Pennsylvania, works with numerous partners to present this annual end-of-summer event, which is a celebration of railroading that features visiting railroad equipment displays, special shop demonstrations and, of course, train rides on both days of the event.
Railfest 2014 gets under way at 10 a.m. on August 30, when park Superintendent Debbie Conway will present a special Opening Ceremony at the Turntable Plaza.
Planned exhibitors (tentative) include:
- Anthracite Hi-Railers O-gauge Model Train display
- Delaware-Lackawanna Railroad
- DL&W Railroad-painted F3 diesel locomotives (Anthracite and Tri-State railroad historical societies)
- Hi-Rail and Trackmobile displays
- Mid Atlantic Motorcars Assoc. "Speeders and Motorcars"
- Norfolk Southern
- North Shore Railroad Company
- Reading, Blue Mountain & Northern Railroad
Planned special programs include:
- Live "Big Band" performances by Ron Leas' Band (Saturday only)
- Caboose Rides
- Lehigh Valley #353 Business Car tours
- Scranton Police Dept. K-9 Unit "Be Part of the Solution" demonstrations
- Special Machine Shop demonstrations
- Turntable Demonstrations
- "Scranton Limited" short train rides on Saturday
- "Nay Aug Limited" short train rides on Sunday
- Union Pacific #4012 "Big Boy" Cab tours
There will be an excursion to Moscow, Pa., on each day, with ''photo run-bys" at Moscow Station. Each trip will operate with historic diesel locomotives.The excursions will depart the Steamtown Boarding Platform at 12:30 p.m., with a planned return to Scranton at approximately 3:30 p.m. Excursion fares are $24 for adults 16 to 61, $22 for seniors 62 and older, and $17 for children ages 6-15, and include the park's daily entrance fee. Children 5 and younger accompanied by an adult require a "no-charge" ticket.
The park is open daily, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. All Railfest activities and programs are included in the park's $7 daily entrance fee for all, ages 15 and older. Fares to ride either the "Scranton Limited" or "Nay Aug Limited" short train rides are $5 per person, all ages 6 and older. All children must be accompanied by an adult. More information about Railfest 2014 is available at www.nps.gov/stea - click on Railfest 2014.