Money Found To Finish Restoration of Bodie Island Light at Cape Hatteras National Seashore
Not quite a year after restoration of the Bodie Island Lighthouse at Cape Hatteras National Seashore was halted due to unforeseen problems, nearly $2 million has been obtained to finish the project.
The lighthouse had been undergoing an extensive restoration last year when the contractor came upon something unexpected: "...significant structural integrity issues associated with the support structures under the balcony."
Without funds to address those problems, the restoration project was shut down in March 2011.
Now, however, a $1.89 million contract has been awarded to United Builders Group, LLC from New Bern, North Carolina, to resume restoration of the lighthouse that stands near Oregon Inlet. Work is scheduled to begin in late February and finished come October.
Work to be done includes:
* Restore deteriorated metal
* Restore components on the lantern level (support beams, masonry, railing/ladder)
* Replace galley cornice segments
* Paint interior and exterior masonry
* Replace windows and glass on lantern level
* Repair the oil house marble floor and roof, install new windows
* Paint all newly installed metals/wood
* Install fire suppression system and rehabilitate electrical power
* Install stair strengtheners