• Critics: Changing Gun Laws in National Parks Would Open a "Pandora's Box" of Problems   5 years 51 weeks ago

If a person wants to carry in a park for protection it should be legal. If i shoot an animal illegaly I should be punished. If I shoot an animal or criminal(one in the same) then justice is served I will always have the right to defend myself and loved ones no matter what the poloticians think.

• Nevada Barr’s Next Park Novel: An Unauthorized Preview   5 years 51 weeks ago

I heard Nevada speak at a book signing of Winter Study in Washington, DC on April 7. While she graciously signed my book, I asked her two questions:
    1. Was Anna going to be with her husband, Paul, in the next novel? She said Yes as Anna was getting tired of celibacy.
    2. I asked Nevada which Parks Anna would visit next? Nevada said she was thinking of New Orleans or Big Bend in Texas
    Cheers
    Doug

• Congressman Calls for Full EIS of Proposal to Allow Concealed Carry in America's National Parks   5 years 51 weeks ago

What people seem to very conveniently dismiss is that both the"rights" of the individual and of the group cease when they infringe in a dangerous, malicious and potentially harmful manner on the existence of society as a whole. As our sponsor has regularly asstered, your "right to free speech" has certain common-sense limitations, those being, but not limited to, speech that is potentially, or willfully, intended to create a circumstance whereby the common good is threatened, and the risk of injury or death is a potential outcome of your actions, again, whether it be your intent or just the end result of you enacting your "freedom". As will all good things in life there is a certain responsibility associated with freedoms and "rights" that are an integral part of ensuring a safe society. No "right" is exclusive to this group, nor should it be so. Cooperation, or as some would have it, common-sense is the keystone to a soceity that functions for the common good, and it is our responsibility as citizens of this nation to ensure that no one or group oversteps the bounds of these individual or group freedoms to their own benefit, specificially to avoid propagation of totalitarianism, caste system, dictatorship or the many other forms of elite rule. It one reads our Constitution carefully, without objectivity, you will discover that the intent and structure was based around a vision of socialistic government. To discard that vision for the convenience of but a few would truly be a tragedy for America in the 21st C.

• Cape Hatteras National Seashore Settlement Won't Ban ORV Use, But Will Restrict Travel   5 years 51 weeks ago

I guess, it means a little bit of oil leak on the beaches but not a whole lot...with less ORV's. Regardless how you look at this issue, wildlife still gets the short end of the stick. Wish we could resolve this issue the way Aldo Leopold would...with better "land ethics"!

• Groups Sue To Overturn Removal of Greater Yellowstone Wolves from Endangered Species List   5 years 51 weeks ago

Anonymous, your snide comments doesn't merit much sense. I have met a few like you, it's all about guns, bullets and booze with the slogan "a huge gut pile is a happy hunter". In Yosemite we have the decline of the mountain loin which enhances the deer population to explode...another words, the predator-prey ratio is all screwed up. Now with the wolves, which keeps the ecosystems in checked with a balance predator-prey ratio to some degree has some profound success. It's not perfect for you peacock ranchers in Montana but it works. I suppose this makes you cry in your beer at night to hear a few wolves howl. Beware of those green eyes at night anonymous!!

Duh! Why not click on the links? Anyone following this issue knows exactly where CNHS is. Hint. It's in North Carolina.

• Nevada Barr’s Next Park Novel: An Unauthorized Preview   5 years 51 weeks ago

Thanks for the feedback, Debbie. I agree that the Anna Pigeon books can be read in any order without undue confusion, though it's best to read them in chronological order if you can manage it. There's a classic rule of thumb that applies to reading materials that are published in series and contain dated or "perishable" content. (It would apply to, say, a two-month accumulation of Time magazines you've been too busy to read.) The ROT says you should read the most recently publication first (because it contains the freshest or "best" information) and then read the others in chronological order (because each contains information necessary to understand the information in the one that follows). Nevada Barr has done a superb job of creating stand-alone books in the Anna Pigeon series, so people can pretty much forget about the classic ROT.

• Nevada Barr’s Next Park Novel: An Unauthorized Preview   5 years 51 weeks ago

I didn't have the benefit of reading her books first to last. I found her books by accident and have picked one up every time I run across it. I have skipped around, but still thoroughly enjoyed them. I think that Ms. Barr does a good of providing enough background and insight into Anna Pigeon's character in each book to allow you to enjoy them independently. But, if you have the luxury of being able to start them in order, that would be a whole lot of fun.

Lets see, and Cape Hatteras is where? I believe it’s in Maine but I’m not sure. Neither does the writer of this article, as he doesn’t seem to want to tell us. Very poor, vague article, not very informative. Sorry.

• Segways in the National Parks: Do We Really Need Them?   5 years 51 weeks ago

"It seems that you'd have to watch the trail constantly rather than lifting your head and eyes to view the sights around you on a bike trail. No?"

No. Why don't you try it before forming an opinion? Do you constantly watch the ground when riding a bike?

"What's the point of it?"

It is fun, inexpensive to operate, consumes no fossil fuel, produces no fumes, is quieter and safer than a bicycle, and requires no maintenance. Why not?

It is perfectly legal to kill wolves that leave the park and threaten livestock. After all, all you environuts were warned that this would happen, and now you're cryin...and you're probably eatin' a fat juicy steak while you're cryin.

• Is the Bear "Hunt" in Katmai National Preserve Sporting or Ethical?   5 years 51 weeks ago

Well what is done cannot be undone, SO they should make the permit to get one of these bears cost 50,000.00 for each bear, and require special training, which will cost more money, and also make the Hunter the one that has to clean the bear and get the carcass off and everything else, no help from guides or others all a one man shoot,clean,carry,all meat no leftovers... then we will see how many of these people from the lower 48 will come to steal away our alaska's wildlife.

They could take the 50 or 60k per hunt and give tha money to the study and preservation of the local area.

I mean if they are gonna hunt them at least make them Pay for it. All the advice I as a 3rd generation alaskan can give.

Mr. Grijalava is a proud former member of La MEChA and an open borders advocate. Given the dangers that exist along the Arizona Border including this congressman’s 7th district I feel it is safe to assert that law abiding citizens would be crazy not to be armed in the back country there. While I respect Mr. Grijalavas support for the environment I find his reluctance to disassociate himself from a group that wants to take over the Southwest United States for Mexico dismaying. He is a poor choice for a spokesperson on this issue.
    In 2003 the Arizona Republic ran a story 'It's the Wild West every night' along border "By Judd Slivka. I don't think much has changed since then with this weeks bloody border machinegun cartel shoot out.

"geared toward pacification of special interests"

I don't see defending civil rights and the Bill of Rights as a "special interest". Do the members of this site refer to the outcry at the NPS's proposed ban on assembly on the National Mall a "special interest"? Is the First Amendment--and its guarantees of freedom of the press and assembly--a special interest?

Are the protections in the First Amendment individual rights? Absolutely. Those who argue that "the People" in the First Amendment and "the People" mentioned in the Second Amendement are somehow different use a twisted form of logic to defend their special interest, namely the erosion of civil rights and the support of a more totalitarian state.

Good point. Places like you mention are no places for guns. None needed. They all have metal detectors and security guards. The backcounrty I'm talking about does NOT. My point is that if you aren't taking EVERYONE'S gun, don't try to take MINE.

Pro-gun advocates commenting on this issue seem to forget what national parks are. They are not all Yosemite. They include Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Ellis Island, the home of Frederick Douglas, the Washington Monument, Lincoln's home, and similar sites. Do you really want people carrying guns into Ellis Island or Independence Hall? Would the NPS have to start supplying gun lockers at the Statue of Liberty so they can store guns for visitors while inside? Really, this is absurd. Parks are about the safest place you can go. You don't need a gun unless you are in a park with legal hunting. Logistically, this would be a confusing and expensive nightmare.

I'm not sure I would use the term "backbone". A recent survey showed that 73% of the American people think the right to bear arms is an INDIVIDUAL right. To deny me my God-given right to defend myself is not "showing backbone" It is criminal and immoral.

"Election-year pandering"? When is the Congressman up for re-election? Sounds like he's trying to get his name in the news if you ask me.

"Common-sense regulations"? What sense does it make to leave your firearm in the trunk of your car while you hike in the backcountry? Here's a link to an article that appeared The Colorado Springs Gazette: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4191/is_20031009/ai_n10028946

I quote, "Absurdly and inexplicably, the carrying of firearms is banned in all but a very few U.S. national parks, though visitors to these largely peaceful and bucolic places are not magically insulated from either criminals or potentially dangerous carnivores."

And this, "Crime does not take a holiday in national parks, either. On the contrary, reports suggest public lands are becoming havens for drug cartels and other criminal enterprises. The dangers facing park rangers and others who patrol public lands reportedly are rising. Thousands of serious crimes occur in national parks annually, including murders, rapes and assaults. And some national parks and forests reportedly now double as pot plantations and meth labs - not only due to their relative remoteness, but perhaps because the criminal element feels it can operate there with confidence they won't likely encounter anyone armed for self-defense."

As for the Environmental Impact Study, besides being grossly expensive, it is absolutely unnecessary. Kurt has already provided us the information we need to post any comments about this issue we have. I posted my comments yesterday. I spent more than an hour composing them but it only took a few minutes to post them. The comment period is open until June 30. ANYONE can post any comments they like. An EIS is a total waste of the taxpayer's money when they already can say whatever they want at no additional government expense.

Got to speak out for my gang back in DC. Please stop confusing the politicians with the people of the city; they already don't have any representation from those bozos (whatever way the saw cuts). There are almost 600,000 people in the city, many of them who have plenty of backbone but no say on this or any other issue (and then have to suffer the further indignity of having their very identity as residents of the District of Columbia confused with the politicians who serve as rulers of the colony).

Taxation without representation,

Thank God someone in DC has some sort of backbone.

Well said Kurt. I'm composing a slightly more intelligent response now. I'll post it later.

I don't believe my eyes. A member the ruling elite openingly identifying this pitiful maneuver of legistlative pandering as nothing short of electioneering geared toward pacification of special interests? From a Western state no less. And a LIBERAL to boot! What's this world coming to.......his term must not be up anytime soon!
    Well done Raul. Let me know if you need any help stuffing the election box when your time comes around. I'll show you how to retain your seat without the lobbyist money.
    Vote early and often is the mantra in my State. It's worked for local Dems here for decades........why not share the wealth?

That saw cuts at least two ways, Fred;-)

• National Parks Traveler Launches User Forums   5 years 51 weeks ago

Joe--

I was impressed by the many Australian rangers whom I met at the International Ranger Federation's World Ranger Congress held in Wilsons Promontory NP in Victoria, Austrailia. They seemed to have their heads screwed on right. It was an impressive group. You made a good choice.

BTW, while visiting neighboring New Zealand on the same trip, I went to a national park that I had to add to my list of favorite national parks, Fjordlands NP on the South Island. It contains awesomely beautiful scenery.

Rick

• National Parks Traveler Launches User Forums   5 years 51 weeks ago

Rick

Queensland Parks and Wildlife, Queensland Australia. Well trained hands on park rangers who regularly sleep in the bush on a swag (aussie for bedroll) to perform a multitude of National Park duties from feral animal control, native species inventory, beach protection, trail construction, fire management, weed control and more. The best and most knowledgeable staff I have ever had the pleasure of working with.

Joe