You are here

All Recent Comments

How Will A Trump Administration Treat The National Park System?

Dec 3rd - 18:25pm | Kat Tatsumi

I want to start a letter writing campaign for a good Secretary of the Interior; any nominations?

Traveler's View: Concerning Times For National Park System

Dec 3rd - 10:12am | Lee Dalton

Salt Lake KSL Channel 5 news just reported that Rob Bishop and Trump will meet soon to discuss Bishop's proposal that Trump undo the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument and possibly other areas as well.

Dec 3rd - 09:55am | rmackie

Excellent points Ray, thank you for all your efforts. I want to share your approach but must admit , at this point, I am not very optimistic.

Dec 2nd - 21:27pm | Lee Dalton

Excellent points, Ray.  And we all need to renew our memberships and support of organizations that will stand up to him when needed.

Dec 2nd - 18:23pm | Ray Bane

To President-Elect Donald Trump the world is a stage, and he is the star of the show.  If he sees national parks as backdrops for his craft of public outreach/minipulation the parks may actually prosper.  National parks have a great deal of national support, so he may be encouraged to be supportive - as long as there is a quid pro quo that benefits his agenda and personal image.

Permit Issued To Kill Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area Mountain Lion

Dec 3rd - 00:28am | jmorley

This is a function of shrinking habitat and competition by predators for food on what little remains. Perhaps people who live near wilderness areas will be happier when these predators are vanished entirely. It's happening to the Florida panther. Will the California mountain lion soon be next?

Dec 2nd - 18:04pm | Rick B.

Sorry - I see the source of the term, which I still dislike greatly. If I read your use of it and heard it in what I presume is your usual tone of voice around here, and that was inaccurate in this one instance, go in peace.

Dec 2nd - 17:43pm | ecbuck

Rick - the term "hobby animal" originated from the article not me.  The article did not use it in a derisive sense and neither did I.   If you do all you can to protect them and assume the risk were you can't, we are in agreement. You blast a bear to save your cat, you might raise a few back hairs on this site.

Dec 2nd - 17:33pm | Rick B.

I really hate the term 'hobby animal', as evidenced by Eric's deriding comment above. I live in the boonies, just outside a national park. It is my property - acreage that I will be paying the mortgage on for years to come.

Dec 2nd - 13:09pm | Lee Dalton

According to this morning's CBS news, the woman who asked for the permit to kill the lion has now asked that it not be killed, but relocated instead.

Dec 2nd - 09:13am | ecbuck

I don't know, this may be fall in the catagory of living in a WUI.  If you want to have hobby animals in an area inhabited by mountain lions seems to me it is up to you to protect those hobby animals or suffer the consequences of you making the decision to put them in harms way.

Wyoming Has No "Intent" To Allow Grizzly Hunt On NPS Lands If Grizzlies Delisted

Dec 2nd - 20:54pm | [email protected]

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/state/idaho/article118169528.html  IDAHO FALLS, IDAHO  An adult male grizzly bear has been killed in eastern Idaho and a $6,000 reward is being offered for information leading to whoever is responsible.

Dec 2nd - 09:28am | Lee Dalton

Remember that too frequently what western legislators and governors say is not necessarily what they will actually do.

Dec 2nd - 08:27am | Dave Smith

The claim that Wyoming has "no intent" to hunt grizzlies on park lands is meaningless because once grizzlies are delisted, there is not a legally binding agreement to prevent Wyoming from hunting grizzlies on park lands.

Dec 1st - 19:47pm | bern barth

I want a no grizzly bear hunt boundary defined around national parks, such as Grand Teton and Yellowstone before delisting is approved. I want a  safety zone for visitor and tour guides on Bridger-Teton National Forest lands/

Dec 1st - 12:27pm | [email protected]

Dec 1st - 10:05am | Michael Kellett

We need to expand Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks to include all of the publicly owned grizzly habitat in the ecosystem. That is the only way we can be sure that the species is safe.

Man Who Stole From Hubbell Trading Post National Historic Site Pleads Guilty, Sentenced To Probation

Dec 2nd - 12:59pm | Dave S.

Well, good for Stanley.  He stands to make around $17,000 profit at a cost of a few counseling sessions.  What's wrong in this picture?

UPDATED: Death Toll From Great Smoky Mountains Fire At Seven, More Rain Needed

Dec 2nd - 11:59am | Gary Wilson

What the heck is ECbucks problem?  I've never seen more of an arrogant out of touch person than this guy.  AMAZING!  I'm really sitting here stewing the more I read from this clown.

Dec 2nd - 11:43am | ecbuck

A retired psychiatric nurse has already mused by making baseless accusations.

Dec 2nd - 11:19am | Rick B.

You should not ask a retired psychiatric nurse to muse about your motives in life.

Dec 2nd - 10:47am | ecbuck

So Rick - what is my interest in arguing for big oil?

Dec 2nd - 10:14am | Rick B.

Simply arguing what is beneficial to the Big Oil.

Dec 2nd - 09:46am | Lee Dalton

"I am arguing that there are many other forces that have far more impact on the earth than humans burning fossil fuels.  Man's impact relative to those natural forces is negligible." But it seems that even the descendents of John D. Rockefeller disagree with those claims.

Dec 2nd - 09:17am | ecbuck

I am not arguing the null hypothesis.  But I am arguing that there are many other forces that have far more impact on the earth than humans burning fossil fuels.  Man's impact relative to those natural forces is negligible.

Dec 2nd - 09:04am | [email protected]

If you ASSUME that an EARTH with no Humans is the SAME/ EQUAL to an Earth with nearly 7.5 Billion Humans (most of whom are burning fossil fuels), you will never understand how Humanity is adversely affecting Earth's Biosphere with a its very thin atmosphere.  The NULL HYPOTHESIS that there is NO DIFFERENCE is clearly Rejected.

Dec 2nd - 08:41am | ecbuck

There were fires in the 1800s?  One almost every 7 years?  How could that possibly be.  The "settled science" says fires are only caused by fossil fuel generated CO2.  How much fossil fuel generated CO2 was there in the 1800s?  How did the fires go away for the last 80 years when CO2 emmissions were booming?

Dec 2nd - 02:01am | [email protected]

Story Includes Fire History Tree Ring Science http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/02/us/weather-gatlinburg-was-made-to-burn/ind...

Dec 1st - 23:26pm | janes

I was there just a few weeks before the fires broke out. So sad for residents of Sevier County and Gatlinburg.

Step Back In Time At Fort Vancouver National Historic Site's Holiday Celebration

Dec 1st - 23:15pm | Rick B.

I've enjoyed my visits to Ft Vancouver in the past, and this sounds like a nicely enhanced experience I wish I could make.

Katahdin Woods And Waters National Monument: A Pretty Magical Place

Dec 1st - 19:49pm | Rick B.

Yup - would love to see it some day.

Western Frontier: Early Forts Regale America's Fur Trade Era

Dec 1st - 19:22pm | Anonymous

It's worth noting per Kurt's telling of Hugh Glass's story, a book entitled "Lord Grizzly" by Frederick Manfred was the first accounting of Glass's tale brought to publication. Manfred, a novelist born in Iowa, included Lord Grizzly as part of his five-volume series, The Buckskin Man Tales. That book was a finalist for the 1954 National Book Award.

UPDATED: Great Smoky Mountains National Park Wildfires Sweep Over Gatlinburg, Kill Three

Dec 1st - 18:51pm | Kim

Has anyone heard if Spence cabin on elkmont was damaged. I just got married there a year ago.

Dec 1st - 14:36pm | Cheryl M..

God bless those fire fighters and other emergency crews that are helping. God be with all those that have been effected.

Dec 1st - 13:22pm | Gary Wilson

Well we just experienced a great "Server drought".  In fact, this was the 5 driest months on record, and the 5 warmest months on record and it culminated with this extreme wildfire conflagration outbreak.

Dec 1st - 09:56am | Kurt Repanshek

Please, enough tit for tat. About the only thing being settled here is that there are wide differences of opinion that won't be swayed.

Dec 1st - 09:37am | ecbuck

He only repeats the same rhetoric over and over

Dec 1st - 09:22am | Gary Wilson

Yep, just as I thought.  He only repeats the same rhetoric over and over and can never go deep into any response because he's not programmed nor capable of doing it.  We are dealing with a mindless bot here.

Dec 1st - 08:35am | ecbuck

I just went to Scientific American. None of which meaured addressed "minority" views, most of which discuss effects of global warming without any evidence of a human cause and some repeat already disproven claims and predictions.  I will ask again, if the science is proven, why has the science been so wrong?  ......Crickets.

Dec 1st - 00:52am | Rick B.

Getting back closer to the actual topic of this thread, Dolly Parton has once more demonstrated how big her heart and soul is.   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dolly-parton-announces-aid-to-tennes...

Dec 1st - 00:04am | Gary Wilson

I've come to the conclusion EC is either an ignorant old man, or just a poorly programmed bot meant to tick us off.  I'm starting to think he's a poorly programmed bot that needs reprogrammed.

Nov 30th - 23:51pm | Rick B.

"And I recognize that that those that sustained damage and risk to their lives did, or should have known of the risks of building/living in a WUI.  We all make choices and we must live with the consequences of those choices."   Damn shame about your soulectomy.

Nov 30th - 23:48pm | Gary Wilson

Ohh dailycaller. Well, that's such a great legit resource. I bow to the almighty EC in his ability to peddle mediocre barely legit news sites and not be able to recognize it as such.  I agree at least with your comment about living in a WUI.  That's the only thing I agree with though.

Nov 30th - 22:59pm | ecbuck

get your damn extreme political rants out of here.

Nov 30th - 21:33pm | rmackie

Thank you BG, I must agree. I do have 56 years of experience in wildland fire, for what it is worth, the last 9 as a Fire Information Officer. There is no question that climate changes, the issue is do 7.5 billion of us, and counting, have an exacerbating effect on  the changes taking place. The vast majority of scientific opinion in our country, and world wide, agrees that we do.

Nov 30th - 21:29pm | Rick B.

For pete's sake, at a time when property is being lost, an entire town is burned, and multiple lives are lost, will you and the horse you rode in on get your damn extreme political rants out of here.

Nov 30th - 21:28pm | Gary Wilson

The only farce here is the resident troll that lives in a temperature controlled bubble posting blabber on the internets.  Sorry, but I refuse to take the "knowledge" of a land prostitute over people that are actually studying these events.  As I sit here and look around my devestated community i'll try not to let you anger me today.

Road Construction Will Close Arches National Park's Campground For Most Of 2017

Dec 1st - 16:01pm | Michele Hill Mo...

Just wanted to highlight from above report, the sentence - The park anticipates that much of the pulverizing, paving and other work will occur at night -

Nation's Christmas Tree Ceremony At Kings Canyon National Park Set For December 11

Dec 1st - 15:47pm | Kurt Repanshek

Great question, Ranger.Sunday, December 11, 2016 from 2:30-3:30 p.m. at Kings Canyon National Park.

Dec 1st - 15:37pm | Ranger