• Dead Carp at Lake Mohave Make This Memorial Day Memorable for Wrong Reason   5 years 17 weeks ago

Hi,

I went to Mohave last year and saw the big giant carp dead on the beach and thought it was strange as carps can live up to 20 years or more. This year I go to Mohave and 100's of dead fish all over their beaches yet they all are coming into the shores hanging around till they die. I also saw a lot of carp with huge tumors on their bodies. It is so gross and there has to be something seriously wrong. Carp can live for years and years and out live other fish and I thought it was really strange seeing this. The water has to be polluted with some type of bacteria. I'm sure E coli is one of them. That is dangerous. They should close Mohave till it is resolved. Upper Lake Mead the carp are all healthly and lots of them but Mohave it's a big concern. Searchlight is a mining town and the filings can be coming down from water run off into the lake. Mining brings up dangerous toxins and can get into the water system and become a major health hazard. I also noticed they were redoing their water treatment and sewer down at Mohave as well. Sewage can cause a major disturbance. 6 mile cove every weekend is trashed and trash left everywhere and feeces all over the ground, outside their public restrooms feeces on the ground and around their toilets (people don't use the toilet) dirty feeces toilet paper blowing everywhere in the air, dirty poop filled diapers on the beach and in the water. The visitors just dump their trash right on the beach and poop right on the ground where everyone walks, eats, swims and it is no lie. It is a huge health hazard and the health department should step in. If the feeces get into the water E coli is a concern. I don't see the park service giving anyone fines and it is a $2,000 fine to litter in a national park. They should enforce the law to get these people to quit ruining our beaches and making them respect the land and take care of our lands. 6 mile cove is just disgusting like being at a huge garbage dump on a weekend where seagulls fly down and crows fly down to find leftovers on the beach. How could people crowd up on a small beach with a big trash dumpster in the middle, cars on top of each other as they camp out and dump everything right on the ground. They poop where they eat and all that gets into our lake water. That is not civilized living by far. It's like a 3rd world country going into super poverty 4th world county down there. It used to be such a beautiful place to camp, fish, sail, etc and it is ruined by people who are not originally from the US are so lazy trash dumping, breaking glass, pooping on the beach, throwing dirty diapers in the lake, etc. It is just gross!

• 22 National Recreation Trails Created. How Many Are In Your Backyard?   5 years 17 weeks ago

Kurt, we can use a lot more hiking trails in the San Francisco Bay Area. Now, only if we can get more kids in shape to build and hike these trails then (hopefully with less obesity) will see a better fit America. Maybe we can get young Chance to help write on this issue.

• How Low Is the Bar For National Park System Inclusion When You Add a Gas Station?   5 years 17 weeks ago

How else can they comment on the energy crisis that raged during Carter's term? Maybe they can snake a line of late 60's/early 70's Chryslers around the block to show what a gas line was ...

=================================

My travels through the National Park System: americaincontext.com

• 8-Mile-Long Multi-use Path Opens in Grand Teton National Park On Saturday   5 years 17 weeks ago

If you people like the trail, Great!. Myself I would ride that trail since I am not into hard and vigorous bike riding. I was thinking about the hardcore bikers who like to mountain bike would not like the trail. This is a case of NPS multiuse for more recreational use. Considering in the future that all gov't agencies have to belt tightening, any funds the NPS gets ought to be devoted not to new projects but maintanence and programs.

I am sure this project was done when funds were flush so I so not disparage the choice to make this path.

• More Fishers Soon To Be On the Loose in Olympic National Park   5 years 17 weeks ago

Many species have adapted to increase human population by feeding off them. Boulder is a prime example with explosion of deer and subsequent cougars that eat deer and pets.

Perhaps the fisher was less adaptable to the highlands and now had moved toward the lolands for easier food.Also increase predators bobcats and cougar which have adapted to near human areas will hunt the fisher.

I would like the fisher , martens and minks to be reintroduced in the east coast. The climate may be better and the reforestation in Vermont and NH would support these animals. Plus the is a reduce amount of predators such as bobcat and cougarson the east coast.

I appreciate Ted's comment which is well thought out and I hpe the groups that plan these introductions take these factors in account.

• No Sign Of Missing Hiker In Grand Canyon National Park, Search Being Scaled Back   5 years 17 weeks ago

While every accident in the parks or elsewhere is tragic for the victims and their family and friends, and sometimes it is possible to learn something from accidents, I believe they got way too much coverage here on the Traveler recently. Individual accidents are not of general interest, they only cater to sensationalistic interests. Of course these kinds of posts are very easy to produce. Just read the Morning Report and look for press releases on the website of the relevant park. No further work necessary.

I would prefer to have at most one accident related article per month. I would prefer the name and all personal information of the victim to be hold back, we don't need that. And I would prefer the posts to have an angle concentrating on safety in the parks, from the point of view of interested visitors, not on the gory details aimed at Yellow press readers.

• Should Anything Be Done With Angel's Landing?   5 years 17 weeks ago

I think this is really a call on personal judgement more than anything else. When you get to Scout's Lookout, you can see the trail required to make it to Angel's Landing. You can see the chains and the cliffs and the narrow pathway. Even if the sign at the bottom doesn't give a real clue as to how dangerous this trail can be, your eyes and common sense should be a good detector.

The thing people like about NPs is that they don't babysit you every step of the way. They require self-determination and intelligence to navigate.

Angel's Landing [as I said before] is a personal judgement call. You see the risks before you take it and you have the FREE WILL to decide whether or not to take it at all.

I hiked Angel's Landing because I trusted myself to be smart and careful. My father, on the other hand, took one look and decided his responsibility to his family was more important than the risk.

Only you know your limits.

Rode the path today and it was fantastic. Sure it might be short for hard core riders but for riders who'd like to ride through the magnificent Grand Teton National Park and enjoy the spectacular scenery, it's an incredible experience. The path was created for all sorts of riders--today I saw families, older riders, a pack of guys flying by, a group of five young women riding together--everyone was smiling. What a great way to spend a Sunday morning. Anyone coming to Jackson should try this path. It's a real gift from our parks.

Thanks Kurt. This was news to me. It's great to see more trails. Here in Eugene, Oregon we are lucky to have the Fall Creek Trail on the Willamette National Forest. It has some beautiful stretches of doug fir old-growth along the Fall Creek.

rob
    ---
    Executive Director,
    Crater Lake Institute
    www.craterlakeinstitute.com
    Robert Mutch Photography,
    www.robmutch.com

• How Did 1940s-era Visitors View Yosemite National Park? Check Out This Video   5 years 17 weeks ago

Thanks for sharing Kurt. Warm memories and nostalgia at it's best. A simple and less complicated time that blends well for it's era.

State and federal biologists have recorded the first fisher family native-born to Washington since their return to the forests after nearly 80 years. Weeks ago, researchers spotted the female, thought to be pregnant, at a big old snag heavily marked with cavities created by pileated woodpeckers, important den sites for fishers. Remote camera images taken at the snag show a mother fisher carrying her litter of four kits, one at a time, from the den tree in the Elwha. Females commonly move their young to new dens, biologists say, as the kits become more mobile.

"...adventure without regard to prudence, profit, self-improvement,
    learning or any other serious thing" -Aldo Leopold-

• Cruising Into Glacier Bay National Park   5 years 17 weeks ago

This was the highlight of our cruise to Alaska. Sam

• Where in the World is Paul Fugate?   5 years 17 weeks ago

Sorry, Anon. We were working from memory since neither of us has access to the NPS or police files. I am sure you are right and I apologize for the mistake. Please be assured that it was our error, not an error on the part of either the NPS or the Sheriffs Department.

Rick Smith

• Rangers Narrow Search Area in Grand Canyon National Park For Missing Hiker   5 years 17 weeks ago

I have been through a lot these last six years and I think I have a pretty good idea of what hell is...but not knowing where a loved one is...that has to be the worst. Especially if it's your beloved grandpa, as an earlier writer wrote. Silence kills. There is no closure. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

• Where in the World is Paul Fugate?   5 years 17 weeks ago

Her name is Dody, not Dotty. Is that an example of how carefully the investigation was done?

• Should Anything Be Done With Angel's Landing?   5 years 17 weeks ago

Well Said, Christina!

I remember people feeding the bears on the side of the road as a child (but I think it was in Yellowstone.) My parents wouldn't let me out of the car to join in, and I was not happy! Sadly, the drive-through tree fell in a winter storm in 1969 (it is so famous that people still send me emails asking where it is almost 40 years later!) That's what happens when you cut big holes in the base of trees. But the ski area at Badger Pass looks almost the same today, there is an addition onto the lodge now, and of course the tow sled has been replaced with modern lifts. It's still my favorite place to ski!

Has there been any updates on this story?

After having lived in Yosemite National Park (the Valley) ALOT of things have changed. WOW!! That's all I can say!! That would of been REALLY Neat to have seen it then & now; all the wonderful things!! The main stand outs are there, Half Dome, El Cap, etc. BUT all the lodging has changed. Except for a couple!! It's so amazing!!

• Bison Hazing Operations Inside Yellowstone National Park Fuel Controversy   5 years 17 weeks ago

Brucellosis is trasmitted to cattle through ingestion of placentas and/or a newborn. Unless those cattle care munching on bison calves there isn't much danger of the disease being transmitted. Only 5% of our nation's beef comes from cattle in the west. It wouldn't really have a huge impact on our beef industry. Besides, bison is healthier to eat. Those ranchers should just let the bison wander over and raise them instead!

• Should Anything Be Done With Angel's Landing?   5 years 17 weeks ago

I did Angel's Landing two days ago, I will have to say that there were a couple of spots that were treacherous, and for the most part, I didn't need the chains, but then I knew what I was getting into before I traveled there. I have to agree that you are responsible for your own actions, and the NPS is not your baby sitter. This is not the place to goof off, as I saw several people do. We have to keep treasured places like these here for generations to come, and to do that we have to be responsible! If there has only been 5 deaths in 100 years, why is this even an issue? On Mount Rainier there have been more than that in a years time and still people by the thousands climb this volcano every year. We cannot place the blame on the NPS for the bad actions of those who find out later that they have vertigo, goof off at the ledge for whatever reason, or are not in proper condition or have enough experience. There are sheer cliffs on both sides of this fin, and this is a strenuous hike, and that is all you need to know. The decision then is up to the individual doing the hike. That is your responsibility, the NPS is not forcing you to do this!

The amazing thing wasn't that they were feeding bears, but that they were feeding bear CUBS! Messing with cubs is a sure-fire way to annoy mama bear mightily.

1. Even if the cattle industry arguments had any merit (they don't, but that's a longer discussion), there are no cattle on Horse Butte any time of the year. It's a freaking peninsula; there are no cattle owners. Private property owners repeatedly have their space invaded by the Department of Livestock to remove bison they don't mind having on their property.

2. A lot of hazing goes on within Yellowstone National Park; the state issue is used as a convenient excuse for their own crimes against buffalo. When Yellowstone National Park is serious about protecting wild buffalo, they will withdraw from the IBMP, they will stop operating their Stephens Creek capture facility in the north, they will stop capturing calves and shipping them to quarantine, they will stop hazing within national park boundaries. Until then, their victim card that they like to play (if we don't do it, Montana will slaughter buffalo) rings hollow.

I have a lot more to say but no time now to say it.

Thanks for the very interesting old video, Kurt. Near the end of the clip (11:38), the ski sequence caption "The Swift Descent Is On" is followed by about ten seconds of footage from Mt. Rainier. This seems odd and makes me wonder if skier/film maker Otto Lang may have been involved with the Yosemite production?

Wow - feeding bears out of the palm of your hand? The landscape hasn't changed - but some of the practices obviously have. (Liked those sled dogs, too!)