• Yellowstone Treasures   5 years 20 weeks ago

A little more ... PEER put out a press release on this focusing on the fact that they were caught using the cybertechnology at Old Faithful, the first arrest due to people reporting things seen on webcams. See http://www.peer.org/news/news_id.php?row_id=1196

• National Park Mystery Photo 2: Where In the National Park System Does Puck Reside?   5 years 20 weeks ago

Well done, well done.

• Senate Loads Credit Card Bill With Amendment to Allow Loaded Weapons in National Parks   5 years 20 weeks ago

I visited The Grand Canyon two weeks ago. I have my CCW license but I did not take my gun into the park because it was not legal to do so. Do you think that rapists, murderers and robbers care about if it is illegal to carry a gun in the National Parks? No, they like knowing that their prey is unarmed. I am a 40 year old woman that has taken the training and passed a test to get to have the right to carry a concealed gun. If you passed me in the park or on the street you would not even know that I was carrying a gun, neither would someone wanting to do harm to me. Wouldn't it be better for a criminal to have to wonder if someone was armed? I did not go "off the beaten path" because I did not feel safe doing so. The Grand Canyon National Park is a very large area. There is no way a Park Ranger could be there to protect me everywhere I wanted to go. There were places that I wanted to go but did not want to take a chance on being a victim. You people that are so opposed to guns need to wake up and realize the Park Rangers and Police are not going to be there to protect you, they are usually there to write the report of what happened.

Andiron, Upper mUsic Room, Scotty's Castle, Death Valley National Park.

According to the park, this is a figure of Pan, not Puck.

• Coalition of Groups Asks President Obama To Halt Move to Allow Weapons in National Parks   5 years 20 weeks ago

“From their beginnings, national parks were intended to be special places where we can get away from the routines, pressures, and risks we face in our everyday lives. We believe that Americans want to keep national parks that way—and not like the mean streets of some U.S. cities. Allowing firearms in national parks, in accordance with state law, significantly diminishes their national stature, and increases the risk not only to visitors and employees, but to the very natural and historic resources Americans expect to be protected,” said Bill Wade...

I call B.S.

Come on, Mr. Wade. If you really believe national parks were intended to be "special places were we can get away from the routines, pressures, and risks we face in our everyday lives" then surely you would have to call for the prompt removal of roads and the total ban of automobiles from national parks. These agents of death kill tens of thousands of people a year--far more than guns. They kill and maim millions of animals--again, far more than guns.

Abandon your fallacious slippery slopes, anecdotes, and other tools of propaganda for sound statistics and verifiable facts.

That goes for you, too, Mr. McElveen.

• Comment Now: General Gun Regulations for Areas Administered By the National Park Service   5 years 20 weeks ago

Mike, I have never heard of bears in Glacier, or any other national park for that matter, swatting the heads off people. And odds are your gun will only irritate any bear you encounter, if you managed to hit him.

I strongly suggest you watch this video, and then talk to park officials about bears and humans.

I am visiting Glacier National Park in July. The stories I have read about the bears there have frightened me. A Park Ranger on National Geographic Television says there are several instances of bears swatting the heads clean off people who are runnung from them. I want to walk trails by water, but apparently that's the favorite place for bears. How stupid is it for me not to have a gun to protect myself from happening on a bear protecting her cubs?

The arguement against lawful carry of guns in NPS seems to wind down that it makes it easier to catch poachers.

That is insufficient reason to restrict a constitutional right. I refuse to give up a right so rangers can assume anyone with a gun is a poacher. Catch the poachers the old fashion way with investigation and facts. Catch them with the game.

The other arguremt is just hysterical fear of people with guns. The reality is that outside the parks people carry guns lawfully and crossing a border does not turn a law abiding person into a raving lunatic and killer or people and animals.

This is the same old tired argument that blood will run in the streets that states heard when they allowed CCW. None of those fears had any validity. Surprise!, most people do not wish to kill over minor arguments. Perhaps we are better than those who fear citizens.

NPCA lies and therfore their credibility is questionable. For instance the statement they made that 73 % of the comments on the park regulation was against, was a lie. I had checked those comments and 7 out of 10 comments were not against it was significant that most of the comments agreed with the proposed change.

Since they promote that lie, They have an agenda to prevent citizens from exercisising their right to carry pistols on federal land in NPS.
    Smokie Hiker is quite correct he has right to not want guns in NPS. His right to want that does not cancel others right to want to have the ability to carry with concealed or openly in parks.

Does anybody know what the crime rate involving weapons of people who are licensed for conceal carry is? I do. It's 0. At the time I was issued my CCW, the Sheriff told me that he was processing 10 requests a day. That's a lot of people in my county that have the right to carry, and yet strangely, none of us has shot the other. I've carried a pocket knife with me every day since I was in 4th grade, I'm 45 now and I've still never stabbed anybody. I don't carry because I'm afraid. I carry because it's my right as a law abiding citizen. I'm a 3rd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do and I've never even been in a brawl. Why do people think that because you're prepared, that you are spoiling for a fight? Just because you have fire extinguishers in your home, do you set your drapes on fire? The problem with Jim G. is that he told you that he carries all the time. If you met Jim in one of our National Park Areas, you would most likely think he was a nice, normal guy, and then go on about your business no worse for the experience. And no RangerLady, we're not still shooting the British, but if it becomes neccessary again, at least I will have that capability. People have this idea that nobody attacks the U.S. because of our military, and while that may be true to an extent, as a former military member, I can tell you that other countries are more afraid of our citizens because we ALL have the right to keep and bear arms. Keep America AND our parks free.

Criminals do not obey laws, so pass as many laws as you want restricting the majority because it will not effect that minority.

Having a gun in a national park is a sane and rational thing to do. I am an old and weak man that was camping in a national park more than 4 miles from a law enforcement officer. A very strong and much larger man with a large flashlight approached me and threatened to beat me to death. I knew this would not happen because i had a loaded semi automatic pistol in my hand in my coat pocket. I could stay calm and talked him into leaving with a promise he would never see me, the snow bird he seems to think ruins his life? The whole situation lasted less than 2 and a half minutes. No way a park ranger or police could have arrived to help if we called, and providing there was service on the cell phone. So what do we do now, outlaw strong men with flashlights.

• Looking For Lodging: the Blue Ridge Parkway   5 years 20 weeks ago

Perhaps you got some type of package deal at Pisgah. The listed price is $120 and the last time we stayed breakfast was not included in the room rate. Maybe they include breakfast in some specials. For example, a room at the Chateau at Oregon Caves now includes breakfast. Still, you can't beat the Pisgah's balcony views and the dinners have always been top notch.

• “10 Best National Parks”? National Geographic, You Have Got to be Kidding!   5 years 20 weeks ago

There are some major parks you missed big time:

1) Yellowstone
    2) Yosemite
    3) Sequoia
    4) Redwoods
    5) Zion

5-09 I agree with Zach. A woman jogger in western Boulder, CO was killed by a Mountain Lion about 20 years ago. I don't know how many since, but if she had even been able to fire a pistol into the ground, it might not have happened. Big Cats are reluctant to get too close to 2-3 people, but they really have no problem with a single person or a couple with a child. The cat will wait and watch for the opportunity to see the child get a short distance from the parent, then it has it's meal and it is gone at a dead run. If the parent has a gun, it is not likely to get the same results.

THINK PEOPLE!! Use you heads! There are serious consequences for bad decisions! A licensed gun owner is the safest person in a group or alone. It is the drug producer, runner, addict, illegal with a stolen, illegal gun that is our worst enemy! Personally, I wish our Forest Rangers carried guns. Plus, too many people are concerned about the attacker and NOT seriously concerned about the victim at all! There are too many people that wonder around in La-La Land and they sophisticately speak ingnorant babble and they also vote, not having a real clue as to what they are doing or why. It is Deplorable!!! Wake UP and consider the results of your decisions! Be prepared, bad luck IS the greatest result of bad decisions.

If concealed weapons are allowed in the NPs, I trust they will be allowed by visitors at senate hearings. Surely our senators don't place a greater value on their lives than the visitors to NPs. After all the 2nd Amendment shouldn't stop at the door of the senate chambers should it?

Another law-abiding citizen, Jim G. "I carry a weapon in a park, rule or no rule." Way to go, Jim G. Ignore the rules you don't like and obey the ones you do.

Rick Smith

Sadly I though this was over and done with.

I spend almost every day in a national park and as a gun owner and card carrying NRA member I am not anti-gun but I feel I have the right to say "KEEP FIREARMS OUT OF OUR PARKS!".

For visitors, the wildlife and our hardworking rangers and support personnel and my safety's sake - lets stop the insanity.

Shame on Senator Tom Coburn, R-Oklahoma. I wonder if he feels safer letting citizens around him carrying loaded firearms or do his secuirty people stop that?

The Senate version of the Credit Cardholders Bill of Rights Act of 2009 is expected be conferenced with the House version of the bill, which does not contain language about loaded guns in national parks, and then sent to the president for his review before Memorial Day.

If that timetable holds up, this fight may be decided one way or the other pretty quickly.

I echo the sentiments RangerLady posted in her first paragraph. It's the overreaction to an animal "threat" that will be the biggest misuse of firearms in the park.

But this is also valid: plenty of people already carry, legally or no, in the NPS. The sparsity of rangers can't police the NPS adequately.

I've long gotten over the gun issue on both sides. Harsher restrictions on legal gun ownership won't solve the gun violence problem, and having a gun is worthless when it comes to protecting you from crime. Both sides of that debate are barking at the moon. The only thing that will decrease crime and gun violence is clamping down on the illegal gun trade (which would require clamping down on private gun sales, gun shows, and disreputable dealers, something not in scope of this particular bill).

Bottom line: I won't be any more or less afraid with legal-carry in parks, and I won't visit the parks more or less because of this rule.

-====================================================

My travels through the National Park System: americaincontext.com

Absurd that a judge can summarily stop a rule based on some ridiculous argument about studying the environment! I carry a weapon in the park, rule or no rule. I earned the right to carry and I will. There is no increase in danger from me to you Betty H and Jim D.

The original rule change allowing for persons allowed concealed carry to enter the parks was a better compromise than this new rule allowing anyone! CCW or CCP folks are checked out. They are typically well versed in firearm use and safety.

The judge now forced the hand of the gun lobby and made things even worse.

Way to go judge.

This comment was edited to remove a gratuitous remark.

I've been reading the comments and I haven't seen the main reason for baning guns in parks. It wasn't really to keep visitors safe (a criminal is hardly going to care that guns aren't allowed) but to keep the animals safe. Now that more and more people are disconnected from the natural world, the fear of predators could possibly lead to people shooting them out of fear. I have seen people beating snakes to death with hiking poles. It wouldn't take much to have someone pulling out the handgun to shoot it. Then that could become an issue to the people. A stray bullet could easily strike someone on the trail with the snake muderer.

Illegal guns are also the only way many law enforcement officers can collar someone suspected of poaching. They may not find any proof of the animal being taken, but they can find the weapons. Guns have no place in our National Parks and certainly won't make them safer. As for the Constitution, that was written before hand guns were around when people did need guns for food and to fight off the British. We certainly don't need to hunt to survive and (hopefully) no one is shooting the British.

• Looking For Lodging: the Blue Ridge Parkway   5 years 20 weeks ago

I do have to say that the food at the Peaks of Otter Lodge has gone downhill. I used to really enjoy their Sunday brunch, but it is nowhere worth the price now. It was a shame to see that wonderful food go

• Rescue of Injured Climber from Remote Site in Rocky Mountain National Park   5 years 20 weeks ago

The idea that there will be a bunch of gun toting rednecks running around where there are children and for whatever reason shooting the place up is ridiculous. The rule in the law says that it must conform to the state law. Most states that have a conceal carry law make it illegal for the weapon to be at all visible. Most people never know when someone is carrying. Not to mention the separate rules, background checks etc. these people must go through to get the permit. The person sitting next to you right now may be armed and that person is no more a threat than the man on the moon.

• Fire at Historic Many Glacier Chalet at Glacier National Park   5 years 20 weeks ago

That's a pretty famous little cabin in Glacier. I always end up hanging out by it when doing photographs of Swiftcurrent Lake.