You are here

All Recent Comments

Group Thinks NPS Uniforms, Vehicles, Play A Role In Lack Of Diversity In National Parks

May 3rd - 09:36am | mtgnppics

I'm not impressed.  If you're in a park and you need a ranger, you want to recognize and find one FAST!

May 3rd - 09:22am | David Crowl

I do not want to feel like the parks are a "police state" but I understand the need for a park ranger to have authority. Having authority does need the appearance of authority. Maybe interpritive rangers could have a more relaxed look but I am not sure I would change it much.

May 3rd - 09:09am | DonJ

Stop with the namby pamby cry baby oh my feelings get hurt to easily crowd. So sick of these weenies.

May 3rd - 09:09am | tahoma

I was a bit skeptical of this article at first, but then remembered my own reaction on first seeing the park service winter uniforms resembling those of the enemy in the Korean War.  Those 'iconic' NPS flat hats do look a lot like those worn by about ten thousand soldiers on Pershing's punative expedition into Mexico during WW I.

May 3rd - 08:45am | ecbuck

What poppy cock. If the look of law enforcement is an "impediment" to someone coming to a park, I don't want them (the visitor) there in the first place.  Currently am in Florence.  The streets are filled with police and military, all carrying weapons of some kind including assault rifles.  The streets are packed with a very diverse and well protected crowd.

An Open Letter To Interior Secretary Jewell: End Helicopter Overflights At Glacier National Park

May 3rd - 08:03am | tahoma

i'd support ending all air tours over all national parks.

May 2nd - 20:28pm | Gary W. Gadouas

We need to be able to hear the quiet places in Glacier. No helicoptors PLEASE!

May 2nd - 10:43am | mtgnppics

Add mine, too.  I'm tired of the wop-wop-wop over my head.

May 2nd - 06:40am | ecbuck

Add my name to the list.

Enthusiast Builds Website To Collect, Share Free National Park Maps

May 3rd - 05:55am | Rebecca Latson ...

I think "little-known" are the key words here, regarding NPS cataloguing their own maps.  At least, with this article, Mr. Holly's site is out there as another resource - one which I have bookmarked.

May 2nd - 17:41pm | Elaine H.

i, too, have a fat stack. I go one step further and put the park date stamp, (the one for the Passport) on the map, reminding me of when I was there. I look at them from time to time when home.

May 2nd - 12:39pm | QT Luong

This is a nice effort, but note that the NPS had already neatly catalogued all their map resources at the little known URL: nps.gov/carto

May 2nd - 08:24am | hatrasfevr

Awesome........ We are trip planning now from PA to AK. These will be a tremendous help to us.

May 1st - 16:50pm | Megaera

This makes me smile.  I have a rubber-banded stack of NP maps that's about 6" thick, and I just keep adding to it.  I suspect I'm one of a lot of people who do this.

Oil Refinery CEO: Once Opponents Learn More, They'll Be "A Little Bit More Relaxed"

May 2nd - 21:18pm | Rick B.

Reminds me a lot of the advice that used to be given to rape victims, to just lay back and enjoy it. Didn't work then, doesn't work now.

May 2nd - 19:03pm | Megaera

Argh.  Glad I saw TRNP when I did, RIP.

May 2nd - 18:53pm | David Allan Cole Sr.

May 2nd - 09:54am | Lee Dalton

Hmmmm.  Why does this remind me of the commander of a firing squad telling the target as he is being tied to the stake, "Don't worry.  We use really, really good bullets.  So relax, you probably won't feel a thing."

UPDATE: Missing Hiker In Denali Found Dead From Fall

May 2nd - 17:56pm | Murray

May Michael Purdy rest in peace.  I pray that his loved ones will somehow manage to find comfort.

The Ghosts Of Yellowstone National Park

May 2nd - 16:21pm | Bill

I live in King's Canyon and after seeing an out of place moving light among the trees I started searching for people with similar experiences.

"Camper Cabins" At Isle Royale National Park Extend Lodging Options To Windigo Area

May 1st - 09:24am | Kurt Repanshek

You'd have to call the concessionaire, Mary Ann:http://www.rockharborlodge.com/windigo-camper-cabins

Apr 30th - 22:16pm | Mary Ann Scott

Which nights (if any) during July and August is a Windigo camper cabin available for reservation?

Interior Secretary Jewell Lays Out Vision For Next 100 Years Of Conservation In America

Apr 30th - 08:33am | Lee Dalton

Here's a link to an article in this week's Southern Utah News out of Kanab regarding local opposition (justified this time, I think) to changes being made in the LOTTERY system that now allows visitors to try to be one of the lucky recipients of a permit to visit The Wave in Paria Canyon.

Apr 29th - 11:41am | tahoma

"... about Secretary Jewell. I asked, and she never replied..."I've heard physical letters to government officials are commonly delayed for weeks, even months, because of security screening.

Apr 29th - 11:06am | Alfred Runte

Yes, Rick, I expect my elected officials to reply--and something beyond thank you for sending in your letter. Your obligation, since you obviously don't know it, is to insist on that reply. You are the democracy, Rick, not Madam Secretary. She is serving at the peoples' pleasure. Now, where were we?

Apr 28th - 17:02pm | Lee Dalton

Is it possible that Secretary Jewell is simply acting because of pressure from Congress as they try to appease special interests or reward their campaign contributors?  That's a story as old as American politics.  Trouble is, it's steadily becoming worse.  Neither party is immune, nor even trying to reform it.  Secret backroom deals are, unfortunately, the norm at all levels

Apr 28th - 16:56pm | Rick B.

"... about Secretary Jewell. I asked, and she never replied...."   Isn't that a little presumptuous, Alfred? Not to burst your bubble, but a cabinet secretary not replying to a query of a former college instructor is somewhat similar to the flea complaining how the dog didn't slow down when he tugged on a hair folicle.

Apr 28th - 15:57pm | Alfred Runte

The thread here should be about Secretary Jewell. I asked, and she never replied, how she could talk about protecting the land in one paragraph and reverse herself totally in another. EC is not always right, but he does make a salient point. We so-called Democrats never seem to hold our team accountable, either.

Apr 28th - 12:33pm | ecbuck

duplicate deleted

Apr 28th - 12:30pm | Kurt Repanshek

If we could have a constructive dialogue of these issues, without the need to include personal slurs or cast aspersions, it would go far to improving the conversation and reducing the moderator's angst.

Apr 28th - 12:28pm | ecbuck

Lee, showing your ignorance again.  A convention of states is a fully Constitutional process.  Do you consider the first 27 amendments a "rewriting of the Constitution'"  More baseless accusations.  And no, I hadn't heard of ALEC but looking at their agenda, much of it looks good to me - and all of it looks Constitutional.

Apr 28th - 08:25am | Lee Dalton

Apr 28th - 07:35am | ecbuck

Lee, could you explain how the are trying to rewrite the Constitution?  Or should we chalk that one up as another baseless accusation?

The World's Top Ten National Parks

Apr 29th - 16:39pm | lily

I thought that Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park was the second ever park in the world.

Vandals Strike Arches National Park, Carving Names Into Sandstone

Apr 29th - 12:33pm | Rudy Stefancik

Bill, So where does a male transgendered person with a beard go to use a restroom facility?

Apr 29th - 11:16am | Archeswasbeautiful

As usual with today's entitled idiots, it's all about "ME", where "I've" been, what "I" am doing or have done.   Do they ever think of anyone other than themselves?

Apr 29th - 10:24am | Alfred Runte

Stop and think. Every highway in America is vandalized with billboards (pardon me, information). Why would these "boneheads" not get the idea that grafitti is okay? Budweiser gets to do it. And Ford. Why not me? Because this is a national park? What difference should that make? All of America should be beautiful, rather than fragmented into "islands" of beauty.

Apr 29th - 09:58am | Sandie

Anyone who does such things is a sick puppy and should be protected from themselves.  What a Bonehead!

Apr 29th - 09:24am | Bill Stock

You have been there.  Read 3 comments, so far.  Remember the painted graffiti we observed on way to Emerald lake .  I took pictures , the perpetrator , 28 years old, even signed her  work. I delivered pictures to National Park Traveler .  They reported on it & info evolved that she had left her graffiti in 7 western Natl. Parks.

Apr 29th - 08:48am | John H.

Make that, "... a lot of time in jail."

Apr 29th - 05:23am | Andy Cooley

Today theme song:   "it's all about me!"  I would love to see these lowlifes caught and be sentenced to cleaning up the graffiti that others have left -- or spend some serious time in jail.  Actually, I kind of prefer that latter option.l

Apr 28th - 19:16pm | Jon

idiots

Apr 28th - 18:52pm | Brenda Brazzel

I don't understand why anyone  would mark on nature's beauty .

National Park Basics For RVing Newbies

Apr 29th - 09:38am | Elena Antonelli

We are renting a large CruiseAmerica camper that accommodates 7.  Do we need to get a car, also, to see the UT national parks adequately?

More Than 700 "Resilient" Acres Added To Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area

Apr 29th - 07:56am | drew hanson

Well done!

Discovery Channel Version Of NPS Mystery Also Offers A Challenge For Sharp-Eyed Viewers

Apr 28th - 18:32pm | Matt brown

Please stop with the Bigfoot crap, that is one reason no one pays much attention to this stuff, the weirdos come out.. Bigfoot. Aliens. Etc.. grow up already

The Complete Guide to the National Park Lodges

Apr 28th - 14:44pm | Susan Pankratz

this sounds exactly what I am looking for

It's Amazing What You Can Do With Duct Tape: National Park Art!

Apr 28th - 08:37am | David Crowl

Too good for "the Red Green Show" (for those of you that have seen his uses for duct tape).

Crude Oil Refinery Proposed Next To Theodore Roosevelt National Park Raises Concerns

Apr 28th - 07:53am | Kurt Repanshek

OK folks, this thread has run its life. We're closing comments.

Lifetime "Senior" and "Access" Park Passes Now Available By Mail

Apr 28th - 07:25am | Fred Fox

I wish they would change the picture on the Senior Pass.  A picture of a desert flower doesn,t relate to the National Parks for me.  It's not a pass to the local garden club, or a Botanical Garden.  How about using the National Parks Logo, or a picture of a Park Ranger, or both together.  I'd be willing to pay the fee again to get one with something like that on it.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide